Connotations

It was seven in the morning when I woke up on my couch. Light shuffling filled my offices. The story lay on my chest. My tie lay on the floor. I picked up the story and continued to read from where I had left off.

        "By 1926 we heard the rumors. We knew what everyone was saying. Neighbors hurriedly closing their shutters when we walked by on the street. Jeers. Threats. Names. Even as I child running to my parents on the beach, hugging them, telling them I loved them, I knew what would happen. Deep inside somehow I knew this would happen."

There was a quiet knock on my door. Janine popped in. I looked up at her. She say my eyes red from crying. Silently as she came in, she softly closed the door. I continued to read.

        "It was 1927 now. I came home. The windows in our home were broken. The door was torn from its hinges. On our lawn written on our tablecloth was the message,

" Fags not allowed. Gay free neighborhood."

        "Our lives. All our work. Everything. Everything was destroyed. I promised you everything would be okay. After all you were by my side finishing medical school. You held me when I cried after being rejected by hospitals for being gay. I promised you everything would be okay. I wanted to compensate for all those times you stood by my side. Just once I wanted to help you. But you were never the same. Your health deteriorated. By 1928 you left me. The only man I had ever loved. You left me alone. Life is short. It's much too short. But thank you. Thank you for giving my life meaning. Thank you for our time together."

I placed the transcript on the accepted pile. My eyes were red. I stood up and walked to the window. The world at that moment was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. I picked up the phone on my desk and called my wife. The phone rang three times before my wife answered. I breathed a sigh of relief and wiped away another tear from my eye and said to her,

        "Hi honey. Is it okay if I come home? "