Prologue

"America". It was my little sister trying to get my attention again. " Come on America you have to do it, everyone in the entire world wants you and your friend to do it!" she excitingly explained to me for the 100th time. My mom, Kiera, wrote a book way before I was born called The Selection and that book turned into a popular series. I loved the book and not just because it was written by my mom. I would've loved that book no matter who wrote it. My mom says it's because I'm a lot like her and maybe that's true but I'm not quite sure why I like the book so much. When my mom finished writing the series her and a couple of her friends decided to name their kids after some of the book's characters. Mom said it didn't feel right for any of them to use the names America or Maxon and everyone argued that she deserved to use them and obviously she used one. I ended up with the name America. My mom's best friend, Scarlett took the name Marlee for her daughter, who just so happens to be my best friend. Some of the other names were used for some people, but I don't know them that well. Apart from my sister who, of course, received the name May. We loved our names and thought it was cool that they came from such an amazing book but something as silly as a few names is causing an awful lot of controversy now.