First Day Of Sophomore Year

It was 5 AM when mother came shouting at me to get up for fajar prayer. I moaned and slapped my bed because I didn't want to get out of my cosy bed and into the bathroom to perform wudhu. I stayed in bed for about 15 minutes and then rushed out when I heard mom climbing back up the stairs. As I am out the bathroom I knock at my little brother Zaid's room to get up to pray. As soon as I was done with prayer I hopped back into bed to sleep since there was still 2 hours left till school and I was super sleepy. All of a sudden the alarm went off and again I had a hard time getting up, I opened my eyes and had a big smile on my face but it had quickly faded way shortly after realizing that I only have 45 minutes to get ready and get to school. I quickly picked up a pink blouse from my clothes along with blue jeans and black boots to get dresses. I looked at myself in the mirror and dull brown eyes stared back at me, I take my hijab off and quickly follow the smell of pancakes which lead me to the kitchen. No time to sit mom,I say as I grab a pancake stuff it in my mouth and run out to my car.

 "Fatima get back here and listen to me, I have something to tell you and drop your brother off too", says mom with a loud voice.

I heard my mom but, I was late I can't be late on the first day. I finally reach school and see Brittney, Sophia, and Jasmine sitting on the bench I ran to them screaming their names and giving them huge hugs.

 "Why are you so late, we were looking for you this whole time"? says Brittney

 Sorry I lost track of time, hey at least i'm not late for class.

"Speaking of which, do we have any classes together",Sophia says as she holds her schedule up

We take out our schedules and notice that we have Biology, History, P:E and English together.

Sophia: Awesome! We pretty much have all classes the same.

Jasmine: Guys hurry up we'll be late for English.

We all rush to class and as we are making our way to the other side of the room to find a seat. Sophia passes by some girls who have the hijab on when one of them by accident bumps into her "open your eyes you dummy you almost broke my arm" said Sophia as she proceeds to find herself a seat. I sit in my seat with a sad face feeling hopeless. Why did she have to say that to her? Was it necessary? I tell myself although I act as if I had seen nothing. No one knows that I am a Muslim. After that incident no way I am telling anyone my true identity. I will loose my best friends if I do. Jasmine, Sophia and Brittney are my best friends and it's obvious how much they hate Muslims they will abandon me. The fact that Brittney lost her dad on 9/11 lord knows what she will do to me. I don't know what to do, I mean I was only 1 years old on 9/11, can't she use her mind and realize that I had no part in this? I'm sure the media has brainwashed her into thinking all Muslims are to be blamed for that incident regardless of their age and actions. After English and history class, we go out and start talking.

 "hey did you guys see that mouzlim girl that bumped into me?" says Sophia

 "Haha yeah I did, I don't understand why she still comes to this school when she's clearly not welcomed by anyone". "Shes only embarrassing herself by dressing that way, I hate them so much, they are the reason why I didn't grow up with a loving father" says Brittney

Sophia and Jasmine: "HAHAHAH......I am sorry about your dad though".

 Hmmm....hate is kind of a strong word don't you think? I mean....she has nothing to do with 9/11 or your father.

 "What are you trying to say Fatima? Are you defending her"? Says Brittney with a bewildered facial expression

No, nothing....just forget it we have that English homework that we had to get done lets work on that.

"No I don't want to do it here I was thinking we get together at one of our houses after school"? says Brittney 

 "How about my house"?says Jasmine 

Brittney, Fatima, and Sophia: GREAT

 "We'll be there at 5:00"

I really don't want them to come over to my house I am afraid that they will see my mom dressed as a Muslim or simply because my house resembles a Muslim family. I always fear that they would ask to come to my house one day which did happen twice but I played it off. Alhamdulillah

The bell rang which meant it was time for P:E class. Oh great time to get into shorts I know I know my mom warned me not to wear them but what do I do? Everyone here knows that only Muslims wear pants during P:E and everyone will start questioning me if I tell the teacher I can't wear that. My mom will never know and besides I don't ever wear shorts only in P:E which I thing isn't so bad. One thing that I love is that all my cousins and relatives are In another state while we are here in Texas. That way none of them will see me in school wearing shorts. After a hour of sweating I go over to the locker room to get changed and cleaned up.

 "Pretty intense game out there right"? Jasmine calls out as I was putting my PE clothes in a bag

 Yeah it sure was, I think I fractured my leg from kicking that ball so high.

 "Gotta admit that was a cool throw".

 Thank you

It was time to go home and I was tired as heck so I quickly got my bags and headed out to my car. As I was getting in my phone buzzed, It was mom telling me to pick up my brother from school. My brother Zaid is 12 years old in Middle School, I really love that goof ball.