Chapter 3

What was Alphys thinking when she thought she would be able to ride the boat again the next day.

Of course, she didn't think she was going to be doing anything Saturday, but the universe always had a cruel way of reminding her that she would never truly get what she wanted.  Like not having to lie to get Undyne to like her, or to be a true Royal Scientist, not just some lonely nervous lizard that can never seem to finish on a deadline.  

Instead of waking up naturally as Alphys had intended, she was awoken by the sound of pounding on her lab door and a loud sing songy voice.

* "Alphys dear!  You promised me you would look at the wiring in my back today, but you never showed up!  Don't make me break down your door!"  Alphys shot up and threw on a lab coat, forgetting to set her bed back into box mode in the process.  She appeared at the door as fast as she could.

* "Hi M-Mettaton!  Why don't you c-come in?"  She tried her best to smile but Mettaton could see through her sad attempt to look awake.

* "Oh my Alphys you look. . ."  Mettaton clapped his hands together unable to describe the small yellow scientist who was currently pulling up chairs for them both.  Her glasses were lopsided, the buttons on her lab coat weren't buttoned correctly, and she stumbled as she walked.  Alphys sighed.

* "T-thanks."  She said without emotion.  * "W-why don't you sit here s-so I can see what the p-problem is."

* "Oh thank you Alphys you really are a life saver"  Mettaton swayed over to the chair and sat down with his legs crossed as Alphys removed the cover on his back.  She asked him what the problem was, and Mettaton explained that sometimes he would tense up.  Most of the time, the robotic television star wouldn't be able to move around as much as he would like.

* "It puts a real damper on the performance.  My ratings are dropping like flies" he moaned dramatically, as Alphys worked on rewiring a few misplaced wires.

As Mettaton rambled on about how his shows were doing Alphys thoughts wandered to the River Person.  They wouldn't be upset with her not showing up would they?  Wait, of course not, it's not like she's their only visitor.  She was pulled from her thoughts as she heard Mettaton asking her something.

* "Alphys darling?  You aren't answering me are you okay?"  

* "O-oh! Yes Mettaton!  S-Sorry you know how I g-get so. . . c-caught up!  In m-my work!"  That was a lie. * "Anyway you're just about finished."  When she finished reattaching the plate she was engulfed in a hug from Mettaton.

* "You know Alphys I can tell when you're lying to me.  Now I won't be the one to prod, so you better take care of yourself, you hear me?  Thank you for fixing my body!"  Alphys smiled and waved as he flounced out the door before sinking into her chair.  It would be too late by now, she had slept in a lot more than she intended.  Instead, Alphys retired herself to a long night with anime and instant noodles.

She made it into the fourth episode of her rerun of Mew Mew Kissy Cutie before she decided it would be better if she instead spent time with the Amalgamates.  Alphys wanted to try to explain herself a bit better this time.  Perhaps she could get them to understand her position.