I'd Rather Not.

Great. First day of school. I know everyone else is usually excited for the first day of school, but I am most definitely not excited for my first day- especially when I'm starting at a new school, in a new house that I haven't even lived in for 3 weeks. This past summer, I moved to London, U.K. I mean yea it's pretty exciting, but I honestly would rather be back in Chicago where all of my friends and family are. Anyway, the lifestyle here is completely different from mine, different time zones and all of that. I haven't made any new friends so this day should just be even better.

I smacked the snooze button on my alarm clock after it's been beeping for the passed 15 minutes and I drag myself out of bed. I go in the bathroom and got a good look at myself, contemplating on if I should shower and try and look presentable, or just brush my hair. I went with brushing my hair and throwing it up into a ponytail.

I have long brown hair, dark brown eyes, and freckles. I just got my braces off before leaving Chicago, so I have pretty straight teeth now (the only pretty thing about my face). I'm short, and I hate it more then I could ever explain. I'm not necessarily a twig, but I'm pretty "fit" as my mom would say. I'm not so tan, but over the summer or after going on vacation, I get very dark, which I like being tan more than being pale.

I throw on my black polo and my black, green, and blue plaid skirt (the uniform for my new school). I decided not to put on makeup because I didn't think it would be necessary. I put on ankle socks and decided to wear white converse, because I didn't really have anything that would fit this outfit enough. Looks like I'm getting new shoes.

I grabbed my black Jansport backpack that my mom had packed me the night before, and walked downstairs. My mom turned to me and shook her head when she got a good look at my hair.

"You're really looking like that on the first day of school?" she said in what sounded like disgust. I rolled my eyes and walked to the fridge to grab an apple.

"Mom, seriously? It's the first day of school, not a visit to the Queen of England," I say sarcastically. She shakes her head once again and hands me a brown paper bag which I assume contains my lunch for the day. "I just don't want you embarrassing yourself. And you can call me mum," she says with a smile and pats me on the cheek as I roll my eyes. I plaster a fake smile on my face then give her a quick kiss on the cheek goodbye.

I walk down the street to the bus stop and sit on the bench. Then, a girl who looks like she would be my age with mid-lengthed blonde hair, freckles on her nose, and bright green eyes sat next to me. I looked at her, and she give me a big smile and she had braces. It seemed she didn't need them, because her teeth seemed pretty straight to me. Either way, she was very pretty. I noticed she was wearing the same uniform as me, and I think she noticed as well.

"Oh, you're going to South Hampstead High School as well? That's awesome! How long have you been going there?" she asks still smiling. The first thing I notice is that she doesn't have a British accent, so she isn't from here either. Then I stop for a second then realize I'm new. Then I got confused, because if she's been going there, shouldn't she know I'm new? "Well actually I'm new. This is my first day." I say and try to smile. "Really?! So am I! I'm Margaret, but you can call me Maggie. What's your name?" she asks, still smiling. "Katerina, but please call me Katie." I say and she nods. "Will do. It is wonderful to meet you, Katie." she says and I agree with her. We turn to see the bus driving down the street. We hop on and make our way to the middle of the bus.

When Maggie and I enter the school. It's very....London-y. It is a lot fancier then my school back in Chicago. A part of me liked it, but another didn't. I wasn't a fancy person.

"Wow, this is beautiful." I whisper and Maggie nods in agreement. We make our way to the East Wing, where both of our lockers were. We place all of our books that we didn't need for our first class in our lockers, and we make our way down the hall.

"Well, I have Biology 1st class, so I will have to find you at lunch or maybe during a free period. Something like that." Maggie says with a sigh. We say our goodbyes and I make my way to my first class: History. I hear the final bell ring, so I run to the end of the hall, which held my first class. Junior year is one of the easiest years is what I'm told, but you can never listen to an opinion.

I quickly walk into the room, to find everyone is staring at me. I feel my face go red in embarrassment, so I make a shy smile towards the man at the front of the room who I assume is the teacher. He doesn't return it, so I quickly walk to the first open desk I see. I finally get settled in, to look up and find everyone is STILL staring at me. The man at the front of the room turns his attention towards me. "What might your name be?" the man asks with a strong British accent. "Katie Ainsley," I say with pride and he makes a smile. "You are not from here I believe?" he asks and I nod. I think he is going to continue asking where I am from, but he thankfully doesn't.

The first class was super long and boring. I somehow kept my eyes open so I wouldn't fall asleep. When I quickly get up from my chair, someone lays a hand on my shoulder and makes me jump. I turn to see the most beautiful boy I have ever seen in my life. He seems to be talking, but I don't really understand what he is saying. Finally, I feel him nudge me and I jump once again. "I'm sorry, It seems that I keep startling you. My apologies. Your name was....Katie?" he says and I nod slowly and he smiles, revealing perfect white teeth. "Well my name is Nate. Pleased to meet you." he says and sticks out his hand for me to shake. I shake his hand and give him a smile. "And you, Nate." I say with a shaky voice. He smiles at me once again, and he waves a goodbye. I turn around and smack myself in the head for being such a....girl? Because I don't know what's wrong with me...this doesn't happen with me.