The Present

"Tom?" I called down the hallway as I opened the front door.

"In here!" Said a voice a few rooms over. "Wait! You can't come in yet!" 

I laughed. I knew coming home early from work would surprise him but my boss had given me the rest of the evening off due to the fact that it was a very special day. Still smiling, I walked over to the kitchen counter and placed my purse down. I sighed, sitting down and resting my head, wondering what on earth my boyfriend could be working on in the back room. I could hear rushed movements and him humming as he attempted to move fast on whatever he was doing. Then the sound stopped and instead I heard him jogging down the hall towards were I was, his sock feet sliding across the hard wood floor. 

He came into the kitchen with his arms open wide and scooped me up right out of my chair, ignoring my yelp as it took me by surprise. His arms wrapped tightly around my waist as he spun me around and laughed in my ear. When he put me down I kept my arms around his neck and looked up at him. 

"So are you going to let me see what you were working on back there?" I questioned.

"Maybe." He replied in his english accent and smiled mischievously. "Oh c'mon then!" He took my hand and dragged me to the back room. "Ready?" he prompted, his hand on the door handle. I nodded in return. The door was pushed open and I could feel him holding his breath beside me. I gasped.

The overhead lights were turned off, and instead the whole room was lit up with fairy lights. They sparkled and gleamed across the couch, bookshelves and around the windows. Tom slowly led me inside and sat me down on the sofa, I caught sight of an irregularly shaped package wrapped in wrapping paper leaning up against the wall. He walked over and retrieved it, placing it on my lap and sitting don next to me. 

"Open it." He whispered, his eyes shining as he looked down at me. I tore the paper off and my breath caught in my throat. Inside was a guitar. But not just any guitar, all over the surface he had written lyrics. Lyrics to his favorite songs and lyrics to my favorite songs in his loopy slanting handwriting.

"It's beautiful" I breathed. "Thank you so much" I couldnt think of anything else to say. 

"Im glad you like it." He murmered, then carefully took the guitar from my lap and placed in next to him. He turned and looked at me then put his arm around my waist and leaned in, placing his forehead on mine. "Happy birthday' he whispered and then closed the gap and placed him lips tenderly to mine.