Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Nothing had ever felt as right as this. Except, the last time we'd kissed. Thoroughly, his lips caressed mine before he glided his tongue over my bottom lip and then beyond to touch mine. Eagerly, our tongues mingled together. His palm cupped the back of my head, and his fingers curled, parting the hair to rub against my scalp.

When we slowed for air, his eyes opened into mine and then closed again when we resumed the kiss. Somehow I ended up in his lap, and with both of his arms now banded protectively around me as we kissed, my emotions rocketed to a new level.

"Stay. Okay? Let's figure this shit out between us..."

His breath warmed my lips as he spoke, and I realized I was nodding. That my body was answering even before I found my voice. "Okay." The word was a whispered agreement.

"Hey, I forgot to get the—" Seth broke off as he rounded a bend and viewed us. "...keys." Jeter was right on his heels.

Horrified, I scooted from his lap and both Gage and I shot to our feet. Gage tossed the fob to Seth, and as the boys moved beyond our sight, their conversation drifted back.

"Damn... You got that right... Thought that was your dad's girlfriend..."

I was brushing the dirt from the seat of my shorts when Jeter's words settled around us, and Gage bent, branding me with another kiss.

"...brother and sister..."

The teens were far enough away that their exchange was now a mumble, but that much I understood and jerked away from Gage again. His amused look told me he had heard too, but instead of being upset, he found it funny.

The sky had burned to orange when we reached the vehicle, which Gage had parked in a cul-de-sac near a friend's house. He was breathing hard again, but that didn't stop him from following me around to the passenger side and chivalrously opening my car door. After closing me in, he paused at the tailgate to toss in the backpack.

"Are we going straight to my house?" Seth asked, once the car was in motion, and expounded his inquisition. "Jeter's dad is picking him up."

"Sure," Gage replied. He'd rested a hand on the back of my seat as he had reversed from his parking place, and before it fell completely away, he brushed my shoulder. "Listen," his voice rose enough to carry to the back seat, "not to be awkward, but I should tell you... My father and Scarlette's mother were married for a while a long time ago. We were once stepbrother and sister. Just thought it was important that you know the step part.

"Sure. Whatever," Seth returned, seemingly unconcerned and then began to converse with Jeter about a skateboard they both wanted.

I turned the AC vent to blow directly on my heated face, and Gage's hand briefly left the clutch to close over mine.

What was going to happen now that we'd kissed?

A dark SUV was already parked in Colt's driveway and Gage parked a car length behind it. The boys gathered their things and we all exited en masse. Gage needed to speak with Colt and I was tagging along.

One of the back doors of the guest vehicle swung open as I neared and then immediately closed when Jeter climbed into the car from the other side.

I waved in passing even though I couldn't see the occupants through the heavy window tint, and the car pulled away.

We followed Seth inside and the teen veered off down a long hallway after greeting his father. Colt was on his feet when we entered the den area, and he greeted me with a squeeze to my arms and dropped a casual kiss to my lips.