Chapter 2

The rain that fell in the morning proceeded the whole day up until the grey afternoon. Dark clouds crowded the horizon, lulled to a sleepy halt by the monotone sound of the rain.

Jane's blazer matched today's color and her tiredness matched today's mood, as she pressed her head against the window of the passenger seat.

"And you gave it to him?" The chirpy sound of Betty Bryson's voice and the blasting radio, clashed against the drear of the weather outside.

"It might be useful for urgent news and those things-"

"That is what emails are for." Betty narrowed her eyes, because she, of course, was the one who knew all about highly positioned posts in worldwide companies - not. "The guy basically gave you the job already, so now it's up to you to be professional."

"First of all, he didn't give me the job - no one said anything about me actually getting it yet." Jane rolled her eyes. "Secondly, it's a five day trial to see how it goes."

"You're acting like this is the weeklong free premium trial of Spotify; this is Kingston Global, Jane! OKG Financial! Oscar Kingston! And all during your first few days here in the big city!" Betty chirped. "I don't think you realize how lucky you are!"

Jane sighed. "Unlike you, I want the job not the man."

Betty's white Volkswagen Beetle collected to a halt on the side of the street in front of a quaintly laid out shop window.

"Hey, you have no say in this," Betty turned to her before hopping out of the driver's seat, "like you said, he's your boss!"

"Oh shut up!"

The bell above the door rang as Betty led Jane inside the queer little store. "Future Mr Bryson!" She cooed.

The whole place was clattered with third or forth hand furniture and old books with yellow pages were laid out everywhere, weighed down. by a hardening layer of dust.

The air smelt damp yet dry and seemed to clog up the throat with all the fluttering little grains that were visible in the dim lamp light.
Jane sneezed.

In the midst of it, stood a counter, just as clattered with yellowing books, as pretty much any other horizontal surface inside the store.

"Finally, Bets. You didn't tell me you'd be out all day." A stack of books was pushed to the side to reveal a guy of about their age sitting at the counter with a book laying open in his lap.

"Jane meet Morgan; he's my boyfriend." Betty walked over and sat on a pile of books, "Morgan, this is Jane. She's the friend from Sweden I told you about. She moved here last Friday."

Morgan looked at her with sour agitation as he watched her stumble and nudge a box of hardcovers which looked older than the world itself. "She does speak English, doesn't she?"

"I like to think I speak fluently." Jane added with cynicism.

"She's my friend from Sweden-  you know that country where it's cold all year long and woman are all feminists?"

Morgan adjusted his reading glasses. "Ok so what brings her here?"

"Well, she's only been here a few days, and I figured that's enough time to spend living in a hotel." Betty shrugged, getting up on her tiptoes to ruffle Jane's hair. "So I thought she could stay here until she gets an apartment."