the Sparkle

Finally, the day has come! I bring you a new one shot about our fave duo :) I won't tell you how long it took me to finish this one, because it's embarrassing. Besides, you'll easily guess when I started writing judging by what the story is about. Or more like when it's taking place.

This time no song inspiration, instead an event of sorts that I heard about in the evening news.

And lastly, I'd like to dedicate this piece to facelesswonder, because if you crave my stories halfway as I crave yours, then I'm sorry for putting you through such a torture ;)

Hope you enjoy!
- Red

Fire.

Hotel.

News.

Dubai.

That's about everything he understood from what his sister Katherine was telling him. She was listening to morning news on the radio, as usual while preparing breakfast. At first he didn't connect the dots, he just nodded and was ready to move on with his day. But then realization hit him - Bethany was in Dubai. A hotel, the name of which he couldn't pronounce, was on fire. His face went pale. Which one did she say she was staying in?

"Derek!"

"Huh?"

"Did you hear what I said?"

"I have to make a call."

"Do..." Katherine was left mid-sentence, as her baby brother left hastily the living room and, judging by shutting of the front door, apparently went outside. "... you want some coffee?"

Curious what has gotten him in such a mood, she followed him. She found him pacing back and forth on a porch, with phone by his ear.

"Come on, pick up." he was muttering impatiently.

"Has something happened?"

Should he tell her? They were supposed to wait until she gets back. But what if?.. No! He has to call and make sure she's fine, then he can explain. Ignoring Katherine he dialed Beth's number and yet again he was greeted by her voice mail.

"Pick up, pick up, pick up."

"Derek, has something happened to Hayley?"

That got him stopped for good. If it wasn't for the seriousness of the situation, she would've laughed at Derek's deadpanned expression.