Epilogue

Aleksander's eyes opened to a bright sun. A  cool breeze blew through an opened window. Soon, he felt a hand wrapped around his torso. There was a bandage there. As he looked around, he saw Rowan's face resting beside him. His eyes watered wanting to cry. 

Was this heaven? he thought.

He scanned the room and noticed this was his old rooms when he was a boy. He saw crown atop of a pillow on a chair. It was his father's crown and his father's father's and many fathers before those. 

"Aleksander...You are awake, at last." Rowan's voice was filled with sleep. He felt his grip lessen on to him as his eyes fixated on his. 

"Rowan." 

He outstretched his hand only to take it back. 

Was this, truly, heaven? he thought again. This time, tears fell down his eyes. 

He felt Rowan's touch on his wrist before he pressed it against his own cheek. 

"I am here. You are here," Rowan said with water filling his eyes.

"Is this heaven?" Aleksander asked. He was sure he had died. 

Rowan shook his head and pressed closer to him. 

"But it is close enough."

Aleksander was quick to put two hands to Rowan's face. He stared into his green eyes wanting to make sure it was him. He felt the softness of his skin against the roughness of his own. He knew his eyes to be the ones he had thought was so beautiful.

"You gave me the world, but the world is you, Aleksei."

His lips parted.

"In return, I will give you something that had always belonged to you..." Rowan took his hand and pressed it to his heart.

"My heart and this kingdom." 

Before long, his forehead leaned onto his as he broke out into a sob. He squeezed him tight into his arms thinking he would wake up and everything would be in flames. There was still much darkness there.

"The demons..."

"I told you did I not? I am not afraid anymore. We have the blood of kings running through our veins, Aleksander."

"But even kings bleed," Aleksander noted.

"It is not about whether we bleed or die..." Rowan took his hand. "It is the legacy we choose to leave behind." He smiled then.

"What legacy would you like to leave, Aleksander?" 

He pressed his lips onto his causing Rowan's back to fall back on the bed. 

"Shall we start with this?" 

"With what?" Rowan breathed.

Aleksander paused for a moment before a smile plastered onto his face. 

"Making you a king."

__________________________________

[A/N]

Thank you for reading!! I hoped you liked this short story. It's my first one! 

Tell me what you thought about it down below! :3