Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Those five words echoed through out my mind. The words that haunted me in my dreams, the last words I hear before waking up. I stared down at the paper in my hand. The words seemed to project off the page, as if I were watching a 3D movie. 

"Shall we play a game?" a deep, hoarse voice whispered in my ear. I felt hot, heavy breaths run down my neck.

Feeling courageous, I crumpled up the note, and tossed it in the waste bin. "Absolutely freaking not." I replied, spinning around. I was ready to face the intruder.

"Megan! Watch your language young lady!" hollered my grandmother from the hallway.

'What the f-" 

"What did your grandmother just finish telling you?!" bellowed my grandfather.

I looked around the kitchen. Whoever had been here was long gone. I rushed to my grandparents.

"There was someone in the house with me!" I cried. This was really starting to freak me out.

"Yeah, your dirty language." my sarcastic grandmother replied.

"I'm sorry okay! But I'm being serious. Someone was here!" I screamed, getting annoyed.

"Relax, it was all in your head." assured my grandfather.

"No! There was a note that said 'Shall we play a game?' and then the same words were whispered into my ear." I explained.

My grandparents exchanged worried looks. They seemed to be having some sort of unspoken conversation.

"Well?" I asked, waiting for a reply.

"Where's the note?" asked my grandmother, finally deciding to be serious. 

I ran into the kitchen and gestured for them to follow. I emptied out the waste bin onto the floor and began picking through it.

"Megan, get out of there! You're going to get rabies!" shrieked my grandmother.

"You can't get rabies from searching through garbage." I assured her. She was always more on the ditsy side.

"I read it on the internet." she said.

I shook my head. "How many times have I told you not to believe everything you read on the internet?" I groaned. "Anyways, it's not here. I could have sworn I had thrown it in there."

"Well it must have been all in your head." my grandfather said. He looked over at my grandmother.

"Again with the silent stares! Is there something you aren't telling me?" I questioned.

"Of course not, now go up to your room. We'll clean up this mess." said my grandmother.

I groaned and did as I was told, mumbling some not so kind words on my way up the stairs.

"Language!" my grandmother screamed.

I covered my mouth and hurried up the rest of the way in silence. I walked into my room and threw myself onto my bed. I felt a warm, sticky substance trickle down my hand. I looked down to see a cut on my palm. It was just deep enough to draw blood. 

"Paper cut?" I asked myself.

I got up from the bed. Right where I was laying was a note, covered in my blood. After closer inspection, I screamed. The note was back.

SHALL WE PLAY A GAME?