Chapter 1: The Wedding

The high pitch squealing of the old doorbell echoed throughout the small hotel room. The bed shook as the girl next to me jumped, waking up instantly. Hurried, padded footsteps made their way to the door, and I heard the lock click before the squeaky door opening.

"Ladies, it's time to get ready!" A shrill voice pulled me from my lingering slumber. Multiple squeals filled the room, and I lifted my head to see Ant standing at the door, accompanied by Jenny, my grandmother. Ant hugged Jenny tightly, then watched her scurry down the hall before slamming the door and leaning against it. She took a few deep breaths, then squealed in delight.

"Renee! Get up! GETUP!" Ant ran across the room and dived onto the other bed in the room, landing in between two sleeping figures. The figures rolled away, and I heard somebody squeal. I jolted up and saw a blonde mess of hair fall over a petite face.

"Are you okay Aisling?" Ant sat up and rolled over to look down at her little sister.

"Yeah I'm good," Aisling raised her head to nod at Ant.

Antoinette, or Ant as I call her, was my Aunty, and today, August the 1st, she was getting married. Aisling was her little sister, and Renee was her best friend. Aisling and Antoinette were fair haired and pale, just like me, with light blue eyes, taking after the Irish side of our family, whereas Renee was a coloured girl, a sweet caramel skin colour accompanied by dark brown hair.

"Leila! It's 10! Get the hell up, our appointment is in an hour and a half," Ant looked at the clock, then pegged a bleach white, hard pillow at me.

"Alright, alright! I call dibs on the shower," I slipped into the warm summer air. The carpet floor was soft as I grabbed my travel bag and locked the bathroom door behind me.

Small cracks outlined the raised mirror and distorted the edges of my messy bed hair. I shook my head and peeled my shorts and singlet off my bare skin. The clothes landed lazily on the edge of the bathtub, and I stepped cautiously into the shower, turning on the well-pressured water. I wiped yesterdays make-up off and washed my face with a replenishing face cream and scrubbed every inch of my body and shaved before washing my waist long blonde hair.

When I was satisfied, I stepped out of the shower and wrapped my hair up in a towel, then dried myself off and wrapped myself in a complimentary bath robe. I opened the door to see Aisling, Renee and Antoinette already dressed in messy clothes.

"Take your time why don't you?" Aisling laughed at me, commenting on my almost hour long shower.

"Shut up," I strode over to my bed and pulled out clothes from my Country Road bag. I pulled out a random bra and underwear, then rushed back into the bathroom to tug them on. I left the bath robe behind and walked out in my undergarments before pulling out a white shirt with a flowery skull on it and a pair of light green skinny jeans. I slipped into my black, studded flats and pulled the towel off my head. I slipped my iPhone into my pocket and kicked my bag back under my bed.

"I don't know where it is!" I squealed, running across the busy road, hand in hand with Aisling, trying to keep up with Renee and Ant. We were five minutes late, and we couldn't find the beauty salon.

"Found it!" Ant squealed grabbing my other hand and dragging me along. We ran into a beautiful, large, pink walled room with a high, glass chandelier.

"How can I help you ladies today?" A petite man looked up at us, his thick glasses falling down his nose.

"We were booked in for the 11:30 appointment," Antoinette gasped out.

"Kaelin?" He asked us.

"Yes, that's us," Ant nodded enthusiastically.