6 Years Old

"Hey Mae." Sarai greeted the cat she had found in the garden. The cat purred as Sarai stroked it's fur.

"Sari." Jake said the nickname he had come up with as he approached her.

"Jakey." Sarai smiled. They had been keeping each other's company ever since they had been locked up last year. Jake had stopped his fake abuse act, and they had become very close.

"Hey Mae." Jake greeted the cat. It meowed in reply.

"You shouldn't be out here all alone. You could get caught." Jake said with his hands on his hips.

"But you'd get in more trouble than I, for mother cannot see through this brick wall." Sarai said, gesturing to herself.

"Good point." Jake pointed out. They sat next to each other in comfortable silence for a while.

"Why." Sarai randomly said out of thought.

"Why what, Sari?" Jake asked, confused.

"Why did you abuse people?" Sarai asked, more clearly on the subject.

"I didn't." Jake shrugged.

"But..." Sarai started, but the realization soon dawned on her, "Oh, it was an act." Jake nodded.

"It was the Queen." Jake said quietly, his voice angered. "She put the blame on me to keep her reputation. She threatened me to act the part around her. But I only said the words, I never hurt a fly, Sarai." Jake explained.

"I knew it." Sarai muttered.

"Wait what." Jake looked up.

"I've always known, Jakey. Ever since I was born." Sarai smiled softly.