TWO

⊠ ⊠ ⊠ ⊠ ⊠

TWO; MAKEUPS

     HURRICANE JUNE. Her father accidentally let it slip when he was picking her up from school in fifth grade, and Embry and Quil never allowed her to forget it. Quil always enjoyed her reaction — narrowed eyes, pursed lips, and her face growing as red as a tomato. Even as he said the nickname on that Monday morning, she didn't flinch. She was glaring intensely at the boy across the room, guilt flashing across his pupils. Embry and Quil decided to separate to comfort both June and Jake. Quil, of course, took June's side. It was unfair for Jake to lie to his girlfriend about being with somebody else, especially when his intentions weren't pure. "I'm going to stab him," she threatened, raising her fork. Quil's eyes widened, taking the utensil from her grasp.

     "No, you're not. Breathe, June. You need to speak to Jake about your situation." She adjusted the blue top she was wearing before slumping down in her seat. The cafeteria was buzzing with loud chatter, but no one paid attention to the couple sitting at different tables. Even if June and Jake fought sometimes, they always got back together.

     "I don't need to do anything. Jacob can come talk with me when he admits that what he did was wrong." She played around with the food on her plate. The meal appeared less disgusting today, but June didn't dare to consume it. "I only have one question. Why Bella Swan?"

     It was valid. Bella was irrevocably in love with Edward Cullen, who went to school in Forks. The pair went everywhere together along with his family. June always thought it was odd that Carlisle Cullen had adopted so many children, and all of them were dating each other. The group had been so closed off until Bella moved back from Arizona. She was immediately accepted and perfectly blended in. She had fallen into a sinking hole when Edward and his family left Forks for reasons unknown, but that wasn't an exception to try and date June's boyfriend.

     "I don't know, June. I highly doubt Jake even has feelings for her. He was just accompanying her by working on these old bikes," Quil reasoned. He eyed Embry and Jake, who were debating silently. Embry looked ready to grab ahold of his friend and toss him into one of the tables.

     "Judging by their position, Quil, it was more than fixing bikes. I'm not the jealous type, you know that. I don't understand why he felt the need to lie directly to me," she whispered. A boy approached, his russet colored skin glowing under the bright lights. He smirked, fixing the collar of his varsity jacket. He tossed a note across the table and Quil took a protective stance. June picked the paper up, unfolding it and reading the content. She huffed and crumpled it, mashing the parchment into her food. "You can tell Jacob that I am in no mood to divulge in secrets." The stranger nodded, striding over to Jake's table and giving him the information. June concluded he didn't receive it very well, since he almost punched the guy square in the jaw. "I can't believe he's sending messengers to reveal what he wants to say."

     "Jake isn't fond of confrontation, particularly with you. I've witnessed you guys fight before. It's intense," Quil murmured. Jake's chair emitted a loud sound when he moved backwards, storming out of the room. Every head darted to June, but she stared straight ahead.

     "I'm leaving," she informed him. She stood, the whole volume lowering. Students watched as she departed, following after her irate boyfriend. She kept her distance in the hallway, observing as Jake's muscles tensed before relaxing. He hadn't noticed her yet but was pummeling his locker with rage. June frowned. She had never seen Jake so irritated with himself.

     "If you damage it any further, you'll have to pay the school," she chimed, swaying back and forth. He stopped his actions and glanced at her. He chuckled under his breath. Even when June was angry with him, she always stopped him from doing something he would regret. He kicked off the locker with ease. They were the only ones occupying the vacant hallway.