i

A.N. So, I wrote this a long time ago and I was really nervous and sort of insecure about sharing this with others, so at first I only showed Merel and Monique. It just felt like something that wasn't meant to be shared, because it was just my thoughts collected into a text which obviously wasn't important and relevant and right now my heart is pounding really heavily because I'm still super nervous about sharing this. I'm showing this to you all because last night you guys were talking about eyes and this immediately popped up and I really hope this makes you love your eyes as well. I don't really know how to end this but I just wanted to write this little note to tell you all that I love your eyes no matter what colour and we should learn to appreciate the little things in life :)

Eyes.

They're made up of the same things - iris, pupil, cornea, lens, and more; so many teeny tiny components to create something everyone has - two, actually, and yet it's drastically unique in its own way. Each described to resemble different things, yet the words used cannot capture the excellence and beauty within each one;

Blue - Mainly described to be the colour of the ocean. In the middle of nowhere, finding peace and serenity - it could be buzzing with its dormant strength, pulsing metronomically, the colbalt hue fascinatingly vibrant; or dreamily swaying side to side, lapping carelessly over each other, white foam creating layers of turquoise. Matched with the colour of the sky, wisps of thin clouds drifting lazily along the stretch of light-blue canvas, several shades intertwined into one of nature's masterpieces. Blue is everywhere, to be loved and cherished by everyone.

Green - Mother Nature's most evidently used colour. Lush trees in an on-going forest. Finding comfort in the layers building as leaves battle their way to the top of the canopy, tiny dots of different shades of the same calming colour. Prominently speckled with hints of browns and yellows and blues, green symbolises growth. Green symbolises harmony. Green symbolises freshness. It symbolises and accentuates the good things in life that sometimes we forget to appreciate.

Hazel - A mixture of the finest colours, layered like rings. The middle like the fiery sun, or like a sunflower, standing bright and proud, signifying confidence. Fading into jade green, glistening with flakes of darkness, making the colour pop. Finally seeping into a misty blue, like watercolour still wet on paper. Each eye holding different degrees of colour, hazel lets you love all the colours within one iris, making it yet another beautiful thing in life.

However, what about the 55% of the population, including yours truly, that have the dominant genetic trait of possessing brown eyes? All my life, society has told me the colour brown is disgusting - a reminder foul smelling substances, the colour of feces and dirt and rust. Almost as dark as black, almost too dark to see any colour. With the absence of light, how is it possible for one to admire it?

Yet, the magic of eyes is that everyone gets a different perspective on the world. You may see golden sand, but a lobster can see colours your imagination can never create. There's different sides to a single story, different opinions on one topic. So many eyes, so many perspectives.

It's easy to look at something and take note of what you see. But to find the beauty of it? So much harder. Yet Calum, has taught me to appreciate everything in life, finding something to love in every little aspect of the world. He'll look at something, just an ordinary thing or action, and he'll find the positive side of it. Society has built and trained our minds to be judgemental, yet he has the ability of focusing on the best things. And I love that.

He has taught me to love soil, the pure natural abundant brown in our world, the ground in which your very feet are planted upon. From soil stems the most beautiful plants - it stems life. We always romanticise flowers, and how they represent love and passion, and that a dozen roses is the perfect gift for any special occasion. Thus far, I have seen no appreciation for the ground in which roses are born. Why is that? The skin of the earth, supportive and vital to life. It's beautiful, so under appreciated. Calum's eyes bring life to this world, ever so nurturing and vital in my life.