Chapter 1

Today is the day. You can feel the sadness and impotence in people's face. You wish you could just run away from all this madness but it's impossible. You are getting dressed and the only thing you can do is pray. Pray for you and your little sister. Being chosen as a tribute for the Hunger Games is basically signing your death sentence. If you do not have any skills, it's pretty much impossible to survive at all.

You are all gathered just in front of a small stage and some woman is enthusiastically talking about the games before announcing the tributes of District 12 for this year.

"Alright, alright, the moment has arrived. Shall we meet the tributes for this year's reaping?" Silence. "Ladies first," She says taking a piece of paper and unfolding it. "Y/N Y/L/N,"

You hear your name and after that all you can hear is your heart racing. People is looking at you, relieved that they were not chosen but still empathetic for your bad luck. You get on stage swiftly and then the woman takes another piece of paper with a boy's name on it.

"Sam Hudson," A boy your age gets on stage with you, his brown eyes filled with terror. "Congratulations to the tributes of this year!" She claps excitedly. She is the only one clapping. You and the boy look at each other frightened, knowing that next weeks are going to be hell.

You are taken into a room where you see your family who are as devastated as you. You hug them and say how much you love them; they know that this is probably the last time they will ever see you. As you have already said, surviving the games is almost impossible. Besides, some Districts train they people especially for winning the games, and everybody knows that.

After that, you reluctantly take the luxurious train to the city of Panem, where the game takes place. In your ride, you talk with Sam and get to know him a little better. You learn that his parents died a long time ago so he's living with his aunt. He is expert in using knives as he used to skin animals as a living. He is a good boy who's not prepared for what's coming next, just as any other 18 year old boy. On the train, they introduce you to Haymitch from District 12, who had previously won the Hunger Games and he gives you some advice to survive out there in the arena. He is smart and knows the game pretty well.

"So, do you have any skills that could help you out there?" He questions.

"I'm a hunter, I'm not excellent but I learned to use a bow and and arrow,"

"Well, that's good. Physical skills are marvelous but it's vital to develop skill that do not require physical strength," Haymitch explains.

"Such as?" Asks Sam raising his eyebrow.

"Well, knowing how to survive for example. Most of deaths are because of natural causes, have that in mind,"

He gives you some more advice and even though you are scared as hell, he manages to give you at least a little bit of hope. You finally arrive at the city of Panem where everybody is waiting and cheering for you. You really don't get it. This is a show for them but it's a matter of life or death to you. You remember what Haymitch said to you: "People liking you is fundamental, that way you get sponsors and believe me, they can make the difference." So now you are faking a smile at the citizens of Panem in an attempt to make them fond of you.

After spending a whole day resting in some kind of building where all the tributes are (you got the penthouse), you are officially introduced to the public. It's a ceremony where making an excellent impression is essential. Being noticed here is indispensable. You really don't have time to check the other tributes as you are pretty nervous yourself. President Snow say some bullshit about the games and you want to leave already. You contain yourself from rolling your eyes every single time he speaks. You are relieved when you get back in the penthouse. You are tired, yes, but so much overthinking doesn't let you rest at all.