*Chapter Fourteen*

*Chapter Fourteen*

Prince? Rylan?

The two words simply did not go together. Vivien decided to drop the questioning to later. For now, priority lay elsewhere.

The ferocity of Rylan’s eyes was not human. He resembled a demon vowed to exact vengeance, not a demon disguised as a human living peacefully on the surface world. For reasons Vivien could not identify, she felt no fear against this monster; she knew he would not hurt her.

Imbecile, remember the last time you felt this way? Vivien scolded herself. Oh, she remembered very well. He would hurt her very much.

“Don’t,” she said, forcing the words, which were like coarse rocks, out of her throat. “I need to kill him on my own.”

No reply.

“You need to save Raine, right? You cannot waste,” Vivien broke off, clutching the damp underground walls next to her for support, “time here.”

He stood in front of her, blocking her from Xavier. He was not addressing her.

“How dare you lowly trash use something such as demon flames. Just for your arrogance I can kill you.”

The vicious gaze that promised wrath and the sneer that revealed very sharp canines.

Rylan never looked so… demonic.

He blinked, and the hard look in his eyes disappeared. He was his usual self. His eyes flicked to Vivien. “I’ll help.”

Despite the situation, Vivien felt an urge to laugh. She thought humans were fools, yet here was a demon, offering help which she definitely did not deserve.

She could feel strength returning, but her body had memorized the pain Xavier inflicted on her. It wouldn’t be easy to face Xavier alone while her body wanted to run the Hades out of this dim underground tunnel. She made sure she wouldn’t crumble and let go of the wall. She positioned herself between Xavier and Rylan. It was clear she did not want his help.

“This is none of your business, Rylan. If you’re worried about our deal, you need not. As you said, I will not break off our deal for my own reason.”

“Well said!” Xavier clapped, the sound resonating and amplifying within the tunnel. “As much as I love to see lovers quarrel, I’d urge you two to finish your business quicker. You see, I’m not terribly patient.”

I must kill him,” she lowered her voice and tried to convey the true urgency of the situation to Rylan.

He measured her, searching for something she did not know. Vivien stood still as a statue. She felt so exposed under his gaze. After a good few seconds, he shrugged and stepped back.

“Do whatever you want, but I’ll stay.”

That was as good as she hoped.

Vivien summoned Reap as a death scythe. The scythe was far too large for a girl of her slender physique, but Vivien handled the weapon as fluently as an extended limb.

She was upon Xavier, the inky black blade slicing effortlessly through his flesh. There was a crack. Xavier’s elbow twisted and bent in an entirely impossible angle. He laughed maniacally as he grabbed Vivien’s throat in his fist, applying inhumanly strong force.

“A demonic weapon.” Xavier licked his bottom lip, his gaze fixed on the scythe’s smooth blade.

Vivien cut off his arm. She appeared behind him and shoved his head into the concrete. Xavier’s skull fractured, and his laugh gurgled as blood entered his windpipe. Xavier threw Vivien back, and Vivien soared through the air. She spun in the air and landed with her palm on the floor, somersaulting backward and leaping the moment her foot touched a hard surface. She was like a rubber ball, bouncing whenever she hit any part of the tunnel. Her movements were flexible and appropriate for a natural predator. She approached Xavier like an asteroid toward a planet. She twisted her body and delivered a sideways kick at Xavier’s chest. The force behind her attack was worth comparing her to an asteroid colliding with a planet. Xavier splashed like jelly and slid down the surface, leaving behind a line of sickly goo. Vivien landed in a slight crouch.