Chapter 10: One for the Baby and One for the Road

The next few months went by slowly for Betty. Victor’s funeral and a memorial were a week after the airplane disaster. She knew deep down he was alive, but her common sense told her that he was dead.

Betty wasn't the only one who was restless. Scott was hearing about all the men who went off to fight to die or come back injured. Was he doing the right thing?

############################################################################

"Betty, can I talk to you about something?" asked Scott, walking into the Writer’s Room.

"Of course, darling. What is it?"

"I can’t handle this any longer!" He went on to explain.

"But Scott..." said Betty, unable to finish the sentence.

"Betty, I have to do it for you and the baby. It’s going to be hard leaving, but I have to."

"Scott, I love you!"

"I love you, too!" said Scott, wiping away tears from her eyes as he leaned down to kiss her.

############################################################################

Later that day, Betty was sitting in the office with the door locked and the lights off. She wanted to cry, but the tears wouldn’t come.

What if something happened to him, and he can’t get hold of me? "Stop it, Betty Sherwood!" she exclaimed out loud. That finally made the tears flow.

She heard someone call her name outside the door. "BettyBettyBetty," said Scott. He hadn't used that line since heaven knows when. She went and opened the door. "Good, good news, Betty!" said Scott, then looked at her wet eyes. "Betty, are you o.k.?"

"So what’s the big news?"

#############################################################################

The weeks went by and the baby was about due. Scott could only come to WENN in the mornings and Betty was doing a lot of extra work. She wouldn’t sit back and relax. Everyone was worried about her. She was working from early morning until late at night.

Scott would work there in the mornings and that was the only time she could see him. Everyone eventually found out where he was and tried their best to comfort Betty.

#############################################################################

Late one night, Betty was typing the next morning's "Bedside Manor". She knew that she should go home. Her eyes were drooping and she couldn’t concentrate, but the script needed to be completed. Then she felt a huge pain in her stomach.

Scott walked through the doors to find all the lights still on. He had gone home expecting Betty to be there, but she wasn’t. He headed to the Writer’s Room and opened the door to find Betty laying there asleep. He gently woke her up.

"Scott, what are you doing here? It’s not morning yet," asked Betty, feeling another pain in her stomach.

"I came to spend some time with my wife. Why are you here so late?"

"There's some typing that I needed to do for tomorrow. Ah, Scott I think I’m ready to go to the hospital now!!"

"You mean..." Betty just nodded her head. "I’ll go call a cab. You sit back and relax."

"Calm down! We have plenty of time."

############################################################################