Chapter Three

The lights are shining in my face, so I force my gaze to the floor of the stage. It’s time for the choosing, and my stomach is in knots. I’m sitting third row to the front, and I feel as if everyone is watching me. My palms are sweaty and my fingers are wrapping themselves in the silky fabric of my dress. Genevieve is next to me, glittering in her lime green dress. Her eyes look bigger, and she’s wearing flats as well. Her hair is straight and was dyed to add more colors like brown, red, and orange. It reminds me of autumn, and her cheeks are an effortless sort of pink. Right now, she is the only comfort I have.

As the last of the Investigated pile in on the eighth or ninth rows at the way back a young man, probably 19, walked up to the podium at the front of the crowd. He pulled at his striped tie, obviously nervous, and cleared his throat into the microphone. As the noise echoed he grinned, and his eyes reached mine. We held eye contact if only for a moment and I felt a large wave of warmth reach me, so I smiled back. He doesn’t notice that I return the gesture but instead goes into what he was obviously very proud of having written as a speech:

“Welcome Investigated, we are pleased to see the faces of the future attending our Choosing Banquet. As you all know after the Great War our nation needed to be recreated into something so much better. Three astounding men came together and realized what we all needed, less control. When too many people had too much power and freedom, we ended up murdering our own brethren and burying our own graves. You know the men who made our foundation of the Paths of Trivit as Atris, Inkria, and of course Norah. As members of the third district, Atris the Creators, we all know that our main purpose would be to create. Show our emotions in what we do and love what we make.

“Today we will meet the ten possible candidates for future leaders of our sector. Most of you are very familiar with the procedure but for those who aren’t I shall explain.” He looks directly at me, and I wish I knew his name. Maybe that way I wouldn’t feel so exposed, he was basically announcing my future.

“At this Choosing Banquet we will reveal the ten individuals that may become our future leaders through the microcards. Everyone who is an Investigated shall receive a microcard and when the time comes and a simple yes or no appear on your card determining whether or not you are going back to your district. A yes if you are going back and a no if you will be moving on to the Courthouse. Everyone understand?”

Everybody nods in unison, even the officials surrounding us. It’s as if they were hypnotized, and their eyes seem glazed over…

The speaker claps and everybody seems to wake up from whatever trance they were in, stand up and applaud with him. I raise an eyebrow and try to make eye contact. I peek over my shoulder to see if anyone else noticed, to find Harry looking around bewildered. So he saw this too… I think to myself. As my eyes meet his green orbs he realizes it is best to act normal, but I fear it may be too late. I see an official walking towards him with quick strides, he seems to try to appear normal and calm but I know he wants this, whatever that may be, to happen quickly. When the official reaches curly haired Harry I can see him quickly inject something into his arm. Harry slouches almost immediately, but isn’t so overwhelmed that he falls over. The official pats him on the shoulder and goes back to his position. I whip my head forward and paste a smile where it doesn’t belong, on my lips. So many questions are running through my head but I decide not to think about it. Best not let the OverReader listen to closely.

Then he speaks up, not Harry but the other boy. “Everybody please pick up the microcard under your seat.” I lean over and my fingertips brush a smooth cool card. I pull it off and close my eyes as I bring it towards my face.

“Now look at the screen, there will be a yes or a no. If you have a no please rise, we would like to acknowledge you.”

My eyes stay shut for a moment longer and I hear Genevieve gasp. I’m not sure if it is of relief or fear.

My microcard says no.

I stand abruptly in shock. My hands are shaking and I only have one question running through my head: Why?

To my right, Genevieve is standing. There are tears in her eyes, the gasp must have been of fear.

She sees my fear echoes hers. She reaches out her hand, “Together” she whispers.

I barely realize my hand gripping hers and my voice trembles, “Together.”

The officials usher us into a white minivan that I hadn’t noticed before. As I step up into the back seat of what somewhat resembles to be a limo on the inside I realized I only personally know two of the other candidates, that being Genevieve and Logan. Her hand is still clutching mine and her green V-neck has a simple collar at the sides, as well as a simple black belt at the waistline. But the beauty of her body doesn’t lessen the dramatic expression she maintains. Her eyes are dark and look bruised even though it’s just a poor quality of non-waterproof make-up. Yet, her head is held high, and she has a confidence radiating from her. She had to leave behind her notebook.  I know she doesn’t want to be a candidate but then again, neither do I. We will have to get through this together.

I turn to look out the window in an attempt to make myself numb to this situation. I won’t cry in front of anyone ever. I can just make out Harry from the crowd. I never felt close to him, but I’ll never forget him. His eyes meet mine through the dark glass. I see he’s crying, and his lips are moving. I tilt my head to let him now that I do not understand. I see him glance around and I hear his voice echo as he leaves my vision,

“I love you Sabi.”