Prologue 1: Distress

In the middle of a vast green field, there was a man. He laid there for several days without moving, seemingly unconscious. If anyone passed him, they did not disturb him. On the fifth day, as the sun began to shatter the darkness of night, he stirred. First, his face began to twitch slightly. Then his mouth cracked open and he inhaled air into his dry mouth. A moan escaped from his parched lips but failed to form any coherent words. His fingers balled into a fist and his head fell to one side. It was as though he was trying to wake himself from a long and terrible dream. 

Finally, he opened his eyes, only after a shlight struggle to overcome any crust that hardened and kept them shut. His vision was suddenly filled with a blinding light for the first time in what seemed like decades. He stared for a short time at the sky as the sun finally conquered the horizon. He was startled the first time he heard his inner voice. It seemed strange and loud to him. Nonetheless, it spoke to him anyway. 

'Who am I?' Was his first thought. He could remember nothing from his past. It seemed almost instinctual that he even knew he was anything at all, or that he even had a name. 'What is this before me? This endless blue spotted with, with, with soft white stuff? These white things make me angry. Angry. I know what that is. What else do I know?'

As he tried to desperately to recollect himself, he was interrupted by a strange sound that echoed through the air. He sat up quickly, feeling every muscle in his body ache as he did so. His muscles hadn't been used in days and they were stiff beyond compare. His eyes now scanned his surroundings for the first time. He was in the middle of a vast plain that spread out to all sides. To the distance ahead of him he could see what looked liked an immense forest. Though, to his left, he could see mountains rise from somewhere beyond the forest. To his right, the forest ended and he could make out a river that cut through the grasslands. Past the river he spotted a colossal stone city, its spires reaching towards the heavens. 

He did not see the origin of the strange sound that disturbed him until he looked to his rear. Approaching him quickly was a group of soldiers mounted on horses. Behind them the grasslands became rolling hills in which he could not see beyond. The soldiers were clad in iron armor and were equipped with swords and shields. Their armors were painted blue and white as was the strange flag they flew. He sat as a statue until they passed. He watched them with his groggy eyes as they flew by him, without as much as glancing at him. 

Just as he thought they would pass without acknowledging him, two soldiers peeled off and turned back to attend to him. Dismounting their horses, they looked at him strangely. His clothes were unlike any that they had seen before. Removing their helmets they attempted to greet him, but the man could not understand their language. He tried to reply but his throat was sandpaper. It was then that he finally realized the situation he was in. 

'I'm in a strange place and I don't know how I got here. I cannot understand these people and I am dehydrated and famished.'

His adrenaline decided to kick in now, and his muscles began to shake. His temperature rose and his heart began to beat rapidly. He was fearful. The soldiers saw he could not respond and that he appeared fearful and harmless. Understanding that the man was in need, they hoisted him onto one of the horses and rode off toward the stone city in the distance.