Swimming Pools

I wanted to run away from all my problems, so I did. I was unaware about where I was going. I just ran. I couldn't take it anymore. Nobody would even notice if I left. I didn't bother leaving a note; nobody saw me leave. It's not like anyone at school knew of my existence anyway. I had left at 6:45pm sharp that day. As I was sneaking out, I took a look at my swimming pool in my backyard. It replaced the ocean when I was unable to go. My family and I had a bunch of memories here, and I started to tear up. Then I started to run and refused to stop.

After running for a while, I could see a place. I didn't recognize it at first. Then I remembered where I was. I hadn't been there in ages. It was the ocean. The exact same waterfront that my dad had taken me when I was 6. I wasn't sure whether it was the exact place, so I decided to get a closer look.

When I had arrived, I started to doubt that I was in the right place. Then I saw a light shining in my direction. I was completely confused, since it was night and the moon didn't shine that bright. I turned around, and noticed the lighthouse in the distance. I quickly threw my small backpack down, opened it up, and grabbed my Fujifilm camera. I took a magnificent picture of the lighthouse in the distance. Once the photo printed, I placed it in the smallest pouch of my backpack to protect it.

I stared at the lighthouse for a while before I realized that I should go to it. It was like the lighthouse was calling my name. I picked up my small backpack, slung it over one shoulder, and slowly started walking. As it got darker and darker out, I decided to walk faster and faster. I eventually ended up running, and after a little bit, I was out of breath. As I was panting, I heard footsteps. I thought someone had been following me. My heart pumped faster, and I hid in a bundle of trees and dirt. I knew my clothes were going to get ruined, but that didn't matter. I rubbed some dirt on my face and clothes to blend in.

The footsteps got louder and louder. I looked up to see if anyone was there, and there was a flashlight shining right in my face. I panicked and tried to get up and run, but the person grabbed my backpack.

"Who are you?" I exclaimed. "Don't hurt me!"

"I'm Tim," the person said. "I own the lighthouse a few miles away. What are you even doing out here?"

I stood there in silence, staring at Tim. He was wearing overalls and had a gray beard.

"Take me to the lighthouse," I cried. Tears started streaming down my face. I couldn't take it anymore. I instantly started to regret even thinking of leaving home.

"Don't worry."

Tim put his arm around me and started to walk with me. I sniffed constantly. Once I calmed down, I began to cry again. Tim, on the other hand, was silent. He respected the fact that I was upset and led me to the lighthouse, using his flashlight to find the way.

After miles and miles of walking, Tim and I finally reached the lighthouse entrance. Tim tried to get the keys with one hand, but then he dropped them. He removed his hand from around me and bent down to grab the keys. He held the door out for me once he managed to unlock it and followed me up the lighthouse stairs. I sat on the couch Tim had up there and placed my backpack on my lap.

"I wanted to run away from my problems, Tim."

Tim stared at me. He seemed like he was at a loss of words.

"Do you have a swimming pool in your backyard?" he asked.

"Yes, and it reminds me of the ocean very much," I responded.

"Tell me how you're going to get back to that swimming pool if you're here. The swimming pool that you and your family spent time together."

"I want to go home."

----

A/N: How was that? I pre-wrote it for a contest submission and then my actual entry for the contest was worse than this one so... This was one of my best writing piece and it is inspired by the song "Swimming Pools" by Troye Sivan. Hope you enjoy this book! -Cass

+tumblr: randomlaziness
+Instagram: fiiyahpwoof