Chapter 1

Chapter 1

To the unknown eye, I’m the happy, slightly different girl. To me, I’m the screwed up teen with no reason to do anything. You see, I’m not average as I look, I have stuff to do and stuff to worry about, even if most girls are worried and doing disgusting stuff with boys and make-up.

My name is Alecia Grace Blake. I’m 15 and my best friend is Poppi, the person who smiles with all of the sun. I’ve always described her as that; she drew it as a picture once too. I’ll get back on track, I know this doesn’t make sense, but I’m glad you’re here, reading this. My story isn’t something normal teenagers are about.

Okay, I’ll start from the start. I was born into a family of seven. My mum and dad were 19 when my eldest brother was born. They were broke but my brother, Troy, was always the one who said that he was the only child who got the most toys and attention. Cath, my eldest sister, is jealous, even though she’s 18, she’s jealous and always complains that she is too ‘ugly’ and ‘obviously wasn’t worth our parents time’. It’s a load of crap. She got the most attention, even when I was born; they worried about her and her needs and wants.

My other sister is Hope. She has a learning disability, which is strange considering her name, and she is younger by 3 years. As you may have guessed that leaves only one member, my little brother. Deacon, is 9 and is so innocent, you can’t say hell around him without his face crumbling into confusion. Hope and Troy spend the most time with them, I’m busy with school and friends and problems. Troy, being 21 and Hope being 12, it’s actually nice to see our family still functioning like this.

Well I think I explained that enough. Poppi, as I mentioned, draws. A lot. She has a, peculiar past. Her dad is a construction worker and owned a company, a small one of course. One day, a site collapsed and her dad was caught underneath. Her mom was distraught and still lies in bed for days on end crying. Her father was a big part of the income of the family, so when he pasted, Poppi’s mum was supposed to be helping more but instead asked Poppi’s grandmother to come to Suburban Sydney.

The only thing wrong with this is, Poppi’s Nan, wanted a boy. Poppi was supposed to be a boy, but when she turned out to be a girl, her father and his mother were so disappointed. At first, Poppi’s dad wouldn’t look at her then one day, her hand wrapped around his thumb after a fight with Poppi’s mum, were he’d threatened to leave. Poppi’s father stayed just for that little girl. Poppi’s Nan, as I said, wanted a boy. So she always ignored her or beat her when she talked. Poppi still loved her Nan, but that didn’t change how many bruises and cuts she gets for being a girl.

Ok, now that you know this twisted stuff, I should tell you about Elliot. Elliot is a girl, first of all. She’s my other best friend. She was born into a nice house, with one exception, she was an only child. I know that to most teenagers, that’s gold, but they aren’t Elliot. Elliot was always asked to do everything, her life wore her down. School and hone, she hated it.

I don’t have much to say but even with her killer smile and beautiful crystal blue eyes, she wasn’t what everyone looked at. They saw the paleness and the height, not the beauty as a whole. She hated what carrying heavy loads when she was little had done to her height. She is 5’2, Poppi is 5’4 and I’m 5’5. Elliot and Poppi would argue over the height but I would lean on both of them, they shut up soon after. Elliot and Poppi always clashed, in every single way known.

Elliot wore trackies and singlets, while Poppi wore skirts and skivvies. I, on the other hand, wore jeans and double shirts. Even my mother looked at me funny and said ‘You shouldn’t dress like a guy, people will be rude to you,’ I didn’t care. People shoved me into things daily, lockers and tables, anything they could reach. Elliot and Poppi got it too, not as bad though. Elliot was always sore anyway from lifting and doing stuff for hours on end at home, Poppi was just self-conscious about being a girl, and her bruises. Ok, that’s everything that you should know about us, I hope you keep reading; I really do.