Chapter 15

Toby rolled his eyes and let out a sigh of frustration. He sat back in his seat while Mr. Landerson wrote out his detention slip.

Mr. Landerson walked over to Toby's desk and handed him the sheet of paper. Toby snatched it out of his hand and shoved it into his backpack. Mr. Landerson walked back up to the center of the classroom. "Now, pull out your books and turn to chapter eleven." He said with an angry tone in his voice.

The whole class obeyed his demand and opened their books. I frantically searched for my book and realized that I never went to my locker-- I just went straight from his car to his classroom. I took a deep breath and raised my hand. His policy was that if you forgot your book, you would have to serve a detention that same day for being 'unprepared'.

"Mr. Landerson?" I asked quietly as he looked over at me.

"Miss Harding." He replied sarcastically and rather playfully.

"I think I left my book in my locker... can I go get it?" I really didn't want a detention.

He turned away from me. I think he was debating on whether or not he was going to give me a detention. "Hurry up." He replied as he went over to his desk.

I quickly sprung up from my seat and headed out to my locker. I grabbed my book and my binder; I pulled out my phone.

<What was that about? You never give out detentions for talking..> I sent it to Mr. Landerson and headed back to his class. I opened the door, walked over to my seat, and opened my book to chapter eleven. Why he was staring a new chapter on a Friday, I had no idea.

---

When the bell rang to dismiss the class, everyone packed up their things and headed towards the door. Once outside, Toby caught up with me and walked by my side.

"What the heck was his problem today?" Toby asked me as we got to our lockers.

"I don't know." I said quietly. I was a terrible liar.

Toby chuckled a little. "Maybe his girlfriend cheated on him." He said sarcastically as he kept laughing. I couldn't tell if he was laughing to help him forget the fact that Mr. Landerson gave him a detention, or at the fact that he didn't think Mr. Landerson could get a girlfriend. Which most definitely wasn't true.

I awkwardly forced out a laugh. "Ha ha.." I couldn't exactly come out and tell Toby that the reason Mr. Landerson was mad was because he kissed me, now could I?

"Why didn't you get a detention? You forgot your book." He said as he sounded really annoyed.

I searched my mind for another lie. "I don't know, Toby. Maybe he had a bad day. Maybe his goldfish died or something." Wow. That was probably the most ridiculous thing I could have come up with. I should have just left it at 'I don't know'.

He laughed. "Probably."

Just then Cara walked over to us. "Probably what?" She asked gracefully. Her dark hair was flowing in the wind.

"Oh, so you've decided to speak with me." Toby said. He sounded very serious.

"Um, no.." She replied.

I rolled my eyes. "Look, if you guys can't get along then why do you guys put yourselves in a situation where you have to deal with each other?" I asked angrily. I was getting really tired of their fighting and bickering. It was driving me insane.

"I don't know." Cara replied quietly.

I turned to face Toby. "And you?" I asked rudely.