Chapter 1 (pilot) (kinda short)

Agility.

Faster.

Harder.

I kept pumping my arms, forcing my fists against the punching bag swaying slightly in front of me. I couldn't stop. I didn't want to.

This was my place, my heaven.

Yes, down here, in this dark, dusty room consisting of old boxing equipment. It was quiet down here...

I was alone.

I personally feel like that's the best thing to be.

No one can hurt you.

If I stopped, then the pain would get to me. My thoughts would crowd me, masking me from happiness once again. My body would scream in pain from the hours of boxing I had been doing all day. I know this wasn't healthy for me, but that was okay. I stopped caring a long time ago.

I took a quick second to glance at the watch on my wrist and realized that it was 11:30 pm, and decided to stop and go back home- I really needed a shower.

My name is Jade, and I like to box. That's actually kind of an understatement- It's more like I'm addicted to it. It's my medicine.

I'm 21- living on my own in the heart of Chicago. I wouldn't even bother asking about my parents, we'll get to that story later. I don't want to think about it right now.

Sighing, I slowly unwrapped the bandages from my hand and started rolling them up to put away. As I glanced down at my hands, I realized that they were blood red. Bruised. Little indents were carved into my skin from the tightness of the bandages and I flexed my fingers to see how stiff they were. I probably shouldn't have tied the bandages so tight.

I packed up my black gym bag and heaved it over my shoulder, dragging my feet to the door across the room. I twisted the door knob and pushed it open- I could already feel the pain starting to ooze from my muscles but it was automatically numbed as I stepped out into the cold harsh winter wind.  My hair flew from my shoulders and I shoved my hands in my pockets, keeping my head down while I made my way back to my apartment a few blocks away. Darkness had swept over the city, and the dark ally way I was walking in was only illuminated by a few weak lights which flickered slowly in the wind.

Garbage and loose bricks were strewn around the ally way, and I couldn't help but kick them around with my feet as I walked on. I wanted to take my time getting home, the wind felt so good against my face. The wind whispered in my ears as it passed me repeatedly, singing a little song of its own.

Suddenly I heard someone whistle from in front of me.

"Girl what that mouth do? God Damn..." It spoke.

I kept my head down and continued to walk, passing this idiot.

"It's not nice to ignore people." It laughed drunkenly, following me.

I ignored him.

"Damn you're fuckin sexy girlllll. Can I have you in my bed?" It grabbed my arm and turned me to him. It was ugly, it was sloppy- it was drunk.

Slowly it tried to start feeling me up but I shoved it away, swiftly turning around and walking away faster.

"AYE THAT WAS FUCKING RUDE!" He grabbed my ass but this time I quickly turned to face him, punching him as hard as I possibly could right in the temple.
My already pained knuckles stung as my fists made contact with his skin, but I couldn't help the feeling of relief that flowed through me.

The man swayed.
Once.
Twice.

He dropped to the ground with a quiet thud, his mouth semi open. Now that he was still and not drunkenly staggering, I could observe his image quite clearly. His face was sunken and hollow, his eyes afloat in pools of skin. His face was rough with stubble and his clothes covered in oil and many stains and holes. His hair was thick and brown under a maroon wool cap.

I raised my eyebrow, finishing my once over observation.
I smirked, satisfied with the end result and spat on him.

I turned and left for home.