chapter 1

I see light and in that light I see my dad standing with Carter. They pull me into a well needed hug as Lucy walks up. She pulls on my coat while holding her arms out. I hold her as Troy comes up behind me.

Gun shots wail as everyone around me falls to the ground.
I look behind me to see who the shooter was and it was my mother. She had the gun pointed at my head. She pulls the trigger.

I wake up in a cold sweat.
I panic as Troy sits by my side,

'it's okay Maya, it was just a dream.' He whispers, stroking my hair. I sob into his shirt, ' no Troy it happened.' I thought about Troy falling with the others in my dream. I can't let that happen. It won't happen.

I get up, wiping my eyes. 'I'm fine, let's just get this day over with.'

He gets up and walks outside. I grab my jeans and shirt. I pull them both on before I tie my combat boots up.

I descend from the tent as I look around to see people loading guns, and sharpening knives.

I was in a refugee camp, I was one of the fighters that went out each and everyday to kill some straggling zombies.

Troy held my hand as he pulled me to the breakfast table to get some beans and sausage.

Troy was one of the only people I loved, we would make it through this.

'okay, group 1, Troy, Maya, and Stock.' A gruff voice said as I swallowed my last piece of sausage.

Stock was only 16, so this should be fun