Prologue: And Then I Left

3 years ago

"Why can't you do anything right, pathetic bitch?" he yelled into her ear, yanking on her hair. She was crying, tears spilling from her eyes, shaking and unable to control her thoughts. All she wanted right now was to curl up in a corner and die. She didn't mean to ruin things for her family or her friends.

Let's be honest, she didn't want to fuck anything up. She didn't try to, but somehow, someway, she did. If only she could turn back the clock and fix everything...

Her dad, pulling her by the hair, walked to the front door and shoved her out. "Do everyone a fucking favor, Miss Melanie Deyne, and just go kill yourself already. Nobody needs a stupid piece of shit fucking everything up in their life. Make our lives easier and please just die."

She was hurt, she was breaking. The second he let go, she ran to her best friend's house as fast as she could. She couldn't take it anymore, she can't live like this.  She had to do something, either run away or do her father a favor.

It all started earlier that evening when she came home past her curfew (her parents are deathly strict). When she came home, her father was waiting at the door, her mother and her older brothers were waiting inside with disappointment.  It turns out that she missed out on some big family gathering.

Her father got mad and started yelling at her, which she was actually used to, given the fact he yells at her almost everyday. When he doesn't yell at her, he isn't at home. Anyways, her mother and brothers agreed and, when it started getting ugly between her father, everyone else went to their rooms, hiding but listening.

She was completely destroyed in matter of seconds, when her dad said she wasn't his child, she was just a walking disaster. To make things worse, her dad also hits. Only her best friend could make her feel better on days like this, which is why she was running to his house.

Pounding on the door, she slightly hoped he was home. Her phone was dead and she didn't know his number. The door opened, and a boy with messy hair and a tired look on his face was standing there.

The boy's eyes widen when he saw her, bruised and crying. He went inside for a second, coming out with a jacket for her (she was in a dress) and keys to his car. She slipped into the jacket and got into his car.

He drove her to the their favorite place to hangout, a tree house deep in the woods. Once they were settled, she told him what happened while he held her in his arms.

"I fucking hate your dad," he says when she was done. "God, you know he's lying. You're nothing horrible or stupid." Wiping away her tears, he hugged her. She started to cry all over again and he didn't object. She was a mess.

Between sobs, she managed to get out, "C-Can I ju-just d-die?" He held his breath, shaking his head. He knew how fragile she was, someone else yell at her and she just might commit suicide. That's why he always tried to protect her and be there for her, even at 3 in the dead of night.

"N-No," he stuttered out. "Pl-Please don't. Don't leave m-me." He was about to cry, just the thought of her dying could break him. She meant the whole world to him, because she's dealt with shit like this for years and she's still here. She's strong enough to face her dad but he ruined her completely. She couldn't be saved because of him. 

Nothing was her fault but it seemed like everyone wanted it to be.

"I'm s-so sorry," she cries, shaking her head. "I c-can't ev-even do o-one si-simple th-thing r-right wi-witho-out fu-fucking it u-up." She shouldn't talk like this, he thought. She might do something stupid if she continues talking like this.

He held her tighter. "Please, don't talk like that. You're absolutely perfect, nothing is ever your fault. You're the best girl in the world, he shouldn't treat you like that. D-Don't think tha-that, ok?"

She nods but her mind was wandering off. If he speaks the truth, then why did her family hate her so much? For crying out loud, she has to make her own money just to buy her clothes. She has to eat with her best friend because her family doesn't want to feed her.

The only thing she does at that house is sleep and get yelled at. Seems like she was good at making a mess out of things.

"Please," he adds, "don't leave me. I need you. I know you can live through this. Please, for me." He was breaking, because she was breaking. He couldn't live without her, he didn't want to live without her.

She nods, slightly pulling away so he could see his face. She sees he believes in her, she sees that he wants her to be happy.

But she couldn't be happy here. She didn't have to die, she could just run away. Run away from her problems, run away from life. She could be happy again, all she had to was start over.

She stood up, and smiled. "It's ok now," she whispers, "I know how to be happy again."

By leaving for good, she silently adds.

915 words

Don't forget to vote, comment, and/or share!

Dedicated to @VioletAddison for the beautiful cover!

~ "I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book" J.K Rowling ~

StAy WeIrD :p