From Big City to Hometown

I entered the plane in a hurry. I would be leaving for Dallas soon. I picked up my bags, took a deep breath and walked up the steps into the plane.

      I stared out the window from the airplane. The sky was a light orange-ish with shades of pink surrounding it and small farms dotting the landscape. The plane eased along the sky without turbulence.

    I sighed, staring at the beautiful scenery. This was totally different from the dirty snow and big towers I was used to. The plane settled down and I rushed to get my things and get outside.

 I strode across the platforms and walked outside. The air was fresh and there was flat land as far as I could see. This was my new home.

_____________________________________

   I clutched my bags and walked with purpose across the airport floor. My eyes searched for the familiar brown hair and eyes. 

   People passed by me. Laughing. In groups, conversing with others.

     Finally, I saw her. A woman in hot pink sweat pants and a Harvard sweatshirt stood, waving a sign that said, "Tammy Elles". That was my name.

    I raced across the floor to the woman. She was startled when I embraced her, but quickly hugged me back. She smelled of baked goods and of candles (the good kind). "Mom." I breathed.

   My mother pulled back for a moment, smiling at me. "You've grown so much since I've last seen you. Look at you! I mean, look at you, Tammy! You're so old and beautiful!" It's embarrassing at first, but I missed her so much it didn't matter all.

     It had been 2 years since I've last seen my mom. My parents had separated and I would live with each parent every 2 years, visiting on holidays. Staying at my dad's house was okay, but when I lived with mom, everything was just so much better. Shopping days and girl chat at night with mom beat hunting and basketball games with dad. I mean, I'm sorry Dad, but I'd like to be a girl sometimes. 

     We went to the car and piled all my suitcases into the car. On the drive home, Mom and I chatted about our years apart.

    How she found a boyfriend. How I grew to love  dance. But never anything about Dad.

 -Author's Note-

Thanks for reading! New Chapters every day.