Chapter 1

Ellie sat under the willow tree behind her small blue house and continued to read her cook book.  She adored cooking and almost every evening her parents would come home from work to see a nice batch of blueberry scones waiting by Ellie's smiling face. Ellie has short ginger hair and is average height for a 13 year old. She has stunning crystal blue eyes, like her father.
She flipped her page to chapter 8 of muffins and scones when a car door slamming jolted her off of the dew covered grass and into a standing position. Her blue eyes widened and her smile beamed as she ran to the front of the house were her mom and dad were walking out of the red mini van with grocery bags in their arms.
Her father smiled kindly at her, "Can you help me out with these groceries sweetie?" He asked as Ellie grabbed a paper bag full of cheese and meat from him and walked it into the house, kicking the screen door open with her foot.
She rested the bag on the kitchen counter and hugged her parents as they each took a bite out of the peanut butter cookies she made earlier that day. She raced up to her room with one of her cookies in her hand and flopped on her bed, she pulled he iPad out and began to text her best friend Maize when her mom came in and told her dinner was ready. She put her iPad down and slowly made her way downstairs to the dining room. She sat in front of her steak and potato salad. She ate in contentedly when her mom spoke up.
   "It was a tough day at the office....my co-worker, Eddie, got in trouble for shipping mail to the wrong customer and since our boss is very strict he may be fired" She shook her head sadly and mourned over her potatoes.
   Dad put down his fork and replied casually,"Eddie? The short man with the balding head who's always to shy to say a thing and always turns scarlet when your around?" He raised his bushy eyes brows.
   Mom rolled her eyes and sighed,"Yes that's him. Now stop making fun of him, Carl! He's a lonely, sad man."
   "I know, I know! I'm only teasing, Bess! He's okay. Poor man, your boss is to tough on him..." Dad shook his head and shoved a forkful of steak in his wide mouth, obviously ending the conversation by eating loudly.
   Ellie stared down at her empty plate and stood up to wash it. She put it on the dish rack to dry and got ready for bed.  Soon she was crawling into bed and turning her bedside lamp off. Her parents peeked in her door and said goodnight before she fell asleep. She dreamt of balled men running around with stacks of papers in their hands whispering words of anger and anxiety.