Chapter 1 - Disequilibrium

Sunday's grey skies were enough to set the melancholy mood at Broken Pine Institute for the Criminally Insane. It was late in the afternoon, and the rain droplets splattered against the dirty glass windows, before dripping dejectedly to the muddy grounds of the institution. Nick caught himself staring as each droplet fell, mesmerised by the crestfallen atmosphere in his workplace. He was only an intern, but he had already let the dismal surroundings affect him.

Despite the downcast feel of his occupation, Nick was passionate about his job. He was one of the few employees at Broken Pine who hadn't lost their sentiment toward the occupation. His coworkers frequently assured him that his time would come; that the indignation would surely sink in, and he would eventually resent having to come in day after day. Nick shook off these comments, well aware that at just 24 years old, he knew in which direction he wanted his life to go.

Nick hadn't been at Broken Pine for even a year, when he met Felix Hart - a patient on the third floor of the complex. Initially, he had been shown the patient as a demonstration of one of their more troubled patients, but the pair had connected almost instantaneously.

The moment that Doctor Anderson had unlocked the door, and beckoned for Nick to open it, was a memory that he would remember for the rest of his days. Although seemingly insignificant at the time, that day had changed the course of his whole life. It was almost as if there were a creature emitting anxiety writhing in his stomach. He had had this feeling before at Broken Pine. Working around criminals, insane ones at that, was a gut twisting job. However, Nick was able to replace that feeling with excitement and enthusiasm. He was satisfied with his job, as it often made his heart beat fast.

Nick opened the door to reveal a small, plain room. The walls were sickeningly white, and in the centre was a bed, with an eccentric looking man sitting on the edge. His tiny frame was bent over, like he was clutching his stomach in pain. He dejectedly kicked at nothing in particular. He steadily moved his head to look up at Nick, which made his atramentous hair fall miserably over his pallid face. He looked as if he hadn't taken care of himself for quite a while, as his hair was matted and greasy. The patients expression remained neutral as he stared at the doctors in his doorway. His piercing hazel eyes were flecked with green, brown and gold. Nick couldn't help but stare.

"Hello, Felix. This is Dr Harris." Anderson said with mock cheerfulness. The first thing they taught Nick was that he would have to put on a smile, and be cheerful around the patients. Nick thought that this particular policy was to make the atmosphere of the dreary institute more pleasant for both the patients, and the employees. It didn't take long, however, for him to notice that the employees rarely smiled around the patients when they thought nobody else was looking.

The patient swept his dark hair out of his eyes, and the corners of his mouth pathetically pointed upward. It was kind of smile that was put on just to be polite, and failed to hide the sorrow behind it. He didn't bother to keep the facade up, though. His smile fell despondently, as he anxiously scratched at his knuckles, which were plastered with scabs and fresh blood. 'Symptom of anxiety or obsessive compulsive disorder' Nick thought to himself, analysing the patient in his head. He had a habit of doing that, which had formed throughout his childhood. He was a diffident boy growing up, and as a result he did not say much. Instead, he took a step back and noticed things that not many others would. He had always seen things in a different perspective, which is what essentially led to him taking the job at Broken Pine.

"Hey Felix. You can call me Nick." He said gently, and extended his hand for Felix to shake it. He wasn't certain if it were company policy to have contact with the patients, or not, but Nick was trying to make Felix feel less apprehensive about the situation - and Nick himself. Felix stared absently at the outstretched hand as if he were considering the situation. He scratched harshly at his knuckles? and bit his lip. It would not be a shock to Nick if Felix was doing it subconsciously. After several silent moments, he took hold of his hand and shook it gently. A shiver ran down Nick's spine as he came in contact with Felix's cold, clammy hand.

Felix had looked extremely uncomfortable, but management had said that the congregation between the two had been the most Felix had ever acknowledged an employee, and so, he was given the responsibility of being his doctor. He wasn't as qualified as the other doctors, and he was almost entirely inexperienced, but he must have been doing something right in order to gain such a response from an otherwise passive inmate. A sense of self pride surged through his body, and once again, he found himself smiling despite the melancholy surroundings.

Felix didn't say a word the first time that they had met. In fact, he didn't say anything for several encounters thereafter.

It had been at least a month since the two first met, before Felix had said anything. Felix had decided to break his vow of silence, but without any prior warning. They had finished their session - which essentially involved Nick examining his physical and mental health. The latter being almost insurmountable when the patient won't utter a word - and was headed for the door when he heard a meek voice from behind him.

"Thanks."

Nick turned around, surprised by the turn of events. A proper smile spread across his face. This time the smile wasn't a clinical one, forced for the wellbeing of the patients. It was real.

"Anytime, Felix. See you tomorrow."

He always had been hypnotised by the eccentric patient, and now that he was talking, Nick desired to stay and talk with Felix some more. He was extremely fascinated by him and wanted to know more about his situation. His mind was delicate, and all Nick wanted to do was poke around inside. However, he knew that it took a lot of effort and courage for Felix to begin talking, and didn't want to push his luck.

Nick lamented into his lukewarm cup of coffee, and thought hard about his patient for the first time since they had met. He was notorious for forgetting that his work place was a prison for the criminally insane, hence making him become too emotionally attached to the patients. The other employees kept their distance, and advised Nick that he should surely do the same. But, he was bewitched by the idiosyncratic patient, yet he had no idea what Felix had even

been convicted for.

Disquietude passed through his body. The cold reality hitting him like a tonne of bricks: Felix is a criminal - probably even a dangerous one. He was erratic - Nick knew that much already from the short time they had spent together. Although he spent the greater part of their sessions picking at the skin on his knuckles, Nick had picked up that Felix was unpredictable.

He sat pondering for a short while, before plantigrading to his shift manager's office. He knocked on the door twice, and proceeded to enter. A short, plump man sat behind the desk, with his glasses sitting on the edge of his turned-up nose. His suit was neatly pressed, which made him appear to be professional.

"I need to see Felix Carlton's file."

[Authors Note: This hasn't been edited properly yet, but I need to post it before leaving for work. Haven't decided if it will be named Vertigo or Disequilibrium, yet. Help. Please leave your comments below, and share it around? Tell me what you think! Thanks for reading. -Sam.]