Chapter one

Many things they show about high school in movies are true. It's so cliché it's pathetic, but some of it is true. Homecoming dance, football games, cheerleaders and footballers, boring classes and counting down the days until graduation.

It however felt like a lot of stuff from the movies was left out, or just an outright lie. There weren't wild open house parties every weekend. No one cared about football games after the first one, there was no big culture. Speaking of which, Footballers and cheerleaders didn't rule the social hierarchy. Sure, they thought they were popular and from a distance they seemed cool or whatever. But everyone hated them, and it wasn't even kept a secret. They didn't rule shit.

The social hierarchy in general wasn't as black and white as it was supposed to be. My school didn't really have a hierarchy at all. People just had their own groups. There were a few people well hated by the student body such as the girl who had sex with someone's boyfriend and then aborted the product of that, or the guy who secretly dated two girls and never thought anyone would find out. It was easy to go from hero to zero, and then build yourself up again.

I was branded weird at the end of sophomore year. One girl had seen me at the mall with my much older boyfriend, I was fifteen and he was twenty four. Really sick, I know. Word got out I was dating someone way too old, and I was teased a little. I must have played my cards right because after two weeks everyone had forgotten and I was back in a world of obscurity. I had a few acquaintances at this school but I was mostly unknown. I had only moved here midway through sophomore year, most people at this school had been together since kindergarten. Therefore it wasn't crazy that I wasn't known in a sea of people.

I had broken up with my creepy older boyfriend over the summer. Well, I convinced him to break up with me. It was a messed up situation where I had tried to break up with him for a while, but for reasons I wasn't able to. But this summer I was now free. It conveniently all happened at the start of summer so I had the whole summer to get over my breakup. Not that I needed time to get over it, a week in I was already attending parties and kissing a few boys.

But now it was the first day of senior year. It was a really odd feeling, standing in a crowd of people, knowing this was the very last time I'd have to suffer through a first day of school.

"Evie!" I heard a voice call out to me.

I turned around and smiled wildly at the girl who greeted me. Gemma Bale. We were fairly good friends. We both liked the same music. The difference was that I got over my punk phase when I was fifteen. She had bleach blonde hair - a dye job, since her eyebrows were dark. Her eye make-up matched her eyebrows though, as it was always dark. I liked her though, she was a good person to be around.

I had a few friends at this place, even though I was a blip on the radar. Over summer I had hung out with new people, which was good since a lot of my friends had dropped out, and the other half had gone weird. I wasn't super close to any of them, but this year would be my chance to get to know a few people, before I went away to college and probably never spoke to them again.

I wanted to make the most of my last year of high school. Clichés or non-clichés, I was going to do everything. If I was lucky I'd be one of those obnoxious people who whine about how much they miss high school and how much they miss it, rather than a bitter person who always droned on about how much they hated it.

"You have powder in your hair. How on earth did that end up there?" Lisa, one of the girls in our group said as she ran her hands through my hair as she approached me.

I took a step back and ran my hands through my hair to remove the powder. I had put baby powder in my hair to remove grease this morning as I didn't have time to wash my hair.