VI. Liberated

Once it was time to escape, I shook the handle of the bunker's exit door to no avail. Claire calmly chimed in, holding two pins. She graciously opened the door with ease as I gazed in awe.

"How in the world did you do that?" I asked.

"When your life has been on the edge of death for as long as mine has, you learn to survive." She answered as she opened the door and scanned the surrounding area. She signaled me to follow her.

"Listen, I can't guarantee we'll get out of here unscathed." She said, sounding worried.

"And why is that?" I responded.

"We might have to get our hands dirty. Put that weapon of yours to good use should you need to." She added.

I have never claimed another one's life before. I didn't think I was ready, but with her leading the way, I felt safe. Claire and I crouched alongside the fort's inner walls. She was as quiet as a ninja; It was without a doubt true that she'd been used to surviving. As we sneaked around the perimeter, my heart sank. We had spotted two guards blocking the checkpoint. One male, and the other one female. Claire came to a halt as she leaned in against my ear.

"Here we are. Sneak quietly behind the one on the right. Wrap your left arm diagonally around his mouth and make a quick, smooth motion toward his neck." She commanded as we approached the Magpies.
4/19/16.
The day I first killed a man.

Claire had remorselessly strangled the woman as I watched the enemy I had murdered drown in his own blood. She confronted me.

"Come on, slowpoke. We need to go." She said as I gazed at the dead bodies.

"Shit, Claire. We are just fucking killed someone. I'm a fucking murderer." I tensely said.

"We've killed monsters, not people. Now grab that hatchet and move it." She said with not yet a hint of remorse on her.

"Weren't they infected? Do you not care at all for their family? You're heartless. Damn you!" I said as I began to sorrow.

"Don't you ever talk to me like that! I saw my mom eating my father's face alive!" She said as she wept as well.

"Jesus Christ... I'm sorry to hear that." I said, withdrawing my words.

"Just... follow me. And stop talking before I do something."

The bright moon shone as we crept closer to the back exit. There were mysterious inscriptions written all around the wooden walls. Pleas for help could be seen written in blood, along with some odd symbols inscribed in chalk. There were guards all around, but we were unarmed, so our best bet was to stay quiet. One thing that spooked me was their clothing. All of them were shirtless, with tribal-looking clothing and recognizable tattoos. None of them resembled Dave or Rick. They sure looked primitive, alright.

"Do you have a plan in place once we do escape? A group to go to, perhaps?" I asked.

"No." She said. "But people will turn up."

As we continued, we reached our destination: the main entrance. Two guards were protecting the outpost. An incredibly scary event happened before my eyes. A little girl, about 10 and wearing regular clothing, went up to the guards. I could barely hear her, but I understood her words.

"Help! Have you seen daddy or mommy? They said they'd be back in 20 minutes, but I don't see them anywhere."

The guards grinned in the most disturbing way imaginable, looked at each other, and simultaneously nodded. What happened next was... the most terrorizing thing I have ever seen. The beasts impended the girl, cornered her in the wall and started gnawing her alive. One of them muffled her lips to keep her from shouting. Claire hid behind me and covered her eyes as she let out a soft squirm. The little girl was in her final moments as they kept feasting and feasting.

"Claire." I said, attempting to get her attention in the midst of the tragedy.

"Yes, I know." She acknowledged. We both know what had to be done.

We sprinted as the Magpies looked over their shoulder. I ran like an Olympian, dragging Claire by my hand. We were already far out as we outran whatever scum was behind us. That was when I truly and honestly grasped the reality that I now lodge in. I gasped for breath as we hid from the Magpies.

"I think we lost 'em." I said while trying to breathe.

As we walked, Claire tapped me as spoke.

"I still don't trust you."

"Could say the very same thing to ya." I retaliated.

"Why are you following me?"

"Because I need you." I said.

"Very funny. You held your own there. You didn't need me. So spit it out." She responded. "What do you want from me?"

"Truth be told, I don't want anything from you." I said. "I'd just rather have your company."

"Look, I'm kind of a big name around here. This world is survival of the fittest, and you're clearly not fit to survive. Definitely not on my level, at least." She smirked as she kept on walking.

"I'll do anything to prove it."

"Anything?" She asked in a curious tone. "See that big guy walking down the endless plains? I'll leave you to him."