table for three

"What I don't get is why you always have to bring them home." I groaned as I set the table out for three. My older brother, Sam, was placing the wine glasses respectively for each place setting. I already new mine would be full and then empty within five minutes of the meal.

"I like to get to know my actors." Sam replied, grinning at me. "Before working with them."

"But why do I have to suffer for it?" I wined. "You know I hate actors." Every time Sam brought them here I had to endure boring as hell conversations with these people. Most of them were conceited, annoying, full of themselves... I could go all day. And my dear brother insisted that they come to our home, and have dinner with us.

"It's part of the job, Aly." He lectured me. "In this business you'll come across actors all the time."

I sighed. "Yeah, well, I'm not in the industry yet."

My family has always been involved in the film making business. Our parents were so proud of Sam, only thirty-three years old and successful as ever. On the other hand, their twenty-five year old daughter hadn't accomplished much; still living with her older brother, no plans to amount to anything... I was pretty much their biggest disappointment. 

But I was used to it by now. 

At least living with Sam didn't make me feel worse about it, I didn't have them reminding me I wasn't as good as him every five seconds. I did however receive plenty life-lessons and lectures on the film industry and how to excel in it.

"It's good practice though." Sam pointed out, taking out the cutlery. I hated when he was right. And he usually was. "Besides, it's my house. My rules."

"You cook then." I smirked at him, heading towards the oven.

"You didn't cook that!" Sam disputed, referring to the lasagna cooking in the oven. "Angela did, all you're doing is heating it up."

"Well, I'm not burning it am I?" I recalled the last time Sam tried to use the oven... it didn't end well.

"That was one time." He retorted.

"One time too many." 

He rolled his eyes at me as the doorbell rang. I sighed. Time to face the music...

Sam glanced at me before waking towards the door. "Be nice, Aly."

"Am't I always?" I replied innocently. 

I turned back to the oven that was done heating up the lasagna. I could hear my brother greeting our guest at the front door as I pulled it out. 

I had my back to them as their footsteps got louder, entering the kitchen. "Aly," My brother started. "This is Matthew."

I spun round to see my sibling with a young man, around his late twenties, with dark hair and greenish-brown eyes. He was handsome, I'll give him that, but then again were most of the actors and actresses Sam introduced me to. "Hi." The guy, Matthew, smiled at me.

"Hey." My mouth curled to the sides. 

"Well, now that we're all introduced." Sam clapped his hands together. "Let's eat." 

Great... At least I knew the food was going to be good.