Chapter 9

Derek

I was pacing in the yard behind the pack house, looking out into the orchard hoping for some kind of sign that Kendra was alright. The cold was creeping into my skin, but I kept shrugging it off as I had all day since I left Kendra with that leech. How could I do that? Just leave her like that? A dull pain still resonated from my side telling that I didn't have a choice, but I didn't care. I didn't care if he broke every single bone in my body. I shouldn't have left her with him.

The pull towards her was painful. I could feel the strain of it. I accepted the pain, however, because it meant that she was alive, that she was okay and that Marcus hadn't figured out a way to break the mate bond.

I knew that was his plan . . . it has to be. There was no way Kendra would leave me. Not unless the was forced to, but breaking a mate bond was supposed to be extremely painful and I couldn't imagine Kendra having to go through that pain. It pissed me off to even think about it.

I looked up at the full moon and prayed again. This has been going on for hours, but I was getting no response. I had never really been a big believer. I never confided in Luna as so many wolves did. I didn't think that she would fix all of our problems and therefore there was no reason to waste our time talking to the moon. My father and mother tried to instill the faith in me, but it didn't work. Not until I thought I would lose my mate. Not until I thought I would loose everything that matter in my life. Now, I could see why so many turned to her for help, and I understand why so many came away frustrated.

I just wanted a sign that I would see Kendra again. An idea that could lead to a safe plan that could bring her back to me. Anything.

"Derek, come inside. Get rest. You are no good to anyone without any rest . . . especially Kendra," Elena came out again as she had been at hourly periods since the sunset. Rowland refused to speak to me, let alone look at me. He had stormed inside and had been conferring with his faction of the pack. I didn't blame him for hating me, hell I hated myself.

Tristan and Ethan had gone to inform some of the key warriors of what was going on. We did not want the news spreading through the pack and causing panic, we just wanted a few to understand why we could not attack. Plus, there was more information now that had to be considered when planning our next course of action.

And then there was Elena. She had always been like a sister to me. Constantly getting me in trouble and annoying, but also constantly worrying about it. Which was exactly what she was doing now.

"No," I grumbled waving her to go back into the house, "Just go to sleep, Elena. I'll be fine."

"Derek," She snapped, "Kendra would be pissed if see could see you. If you want to be any help to her, you need to . . ."

"Enough!" I turned on her and she looked shocked by my anger. "Do you want to know why I won't sleep?" I growled, my fists clenching at my side. "I not only cannot get her off her mind, but I cannot sleep without her here next to me. I understand that I need rest to think clearly, but I can't rest. I can't think clearly. Not with knowing that she is in danger, that it's my fault . . . I can't deal with it, without her."

"Derek," She sighed the shock fading from her. She stepped closer and reaching for me.

"No!" I stepping away from her, "Just go to sleep, Elena," I turned back towards the orchard and the moon.

"You don't think I am not missing her too?" She said sounding peeved. "And Rowland and Tristan and Ethan and Alex and everyone else? She is our Luna . . . our friend. She is not just your mate!" She snapped