The meeting

Every cycle of the planet, or 365 revolutions, there is the meeting. It is always on the first day of the cold season in the north. During the meeting president Yin presents us the accomplishments of the cycle, such as the diminishing number of punishments or the increasing amount of graduates, off to get chosen their work and job. The president also chooses candidates to spend a day in his office, or as I like to call it, power tower. He says he helps, however he controls everyone in there. Nobody knows what the candidates do with president Yin. I hope and wish to not get chosen, for today is the meeting. And I am of age, 14, to get my work. My big sister was given the job of teacher. I do not wish to have this job, but if it is what the president wishes, I do not have a choice.

I have been chosen as a candidate. My meeting with president Yin commences immediately. I join the other females in the room. We all look similar with our hair no longer than our shoulders, our matching clothes that the president imposes to assure that his subjects have no need to make any choices. They tell me of how a long time ago when choices were available to everyone. That's all they did, make choices. How I long for that time.

As president Yin walks in, a heavy weight fills the room. I wonder if the others feel it as well, but I doubt it, for I am the only one to dislike the president. Nobody can know this, or I will be punished. The president looks at me for a split second. He seems to see right through me, to know all the mean things I've thought of him, but he looks away. As I look around the room, I realize that I do look much different from the others. I am a bit taller, my hair a bit darker, a bit too long. I am too skinny and my eyes are an unnatural color. Green. The shade abandoned long ago by our ancestors.

The president goes to the front of the room and positions himself so that the long trail of clothes that he always hangs around his neck does not get in the way. I think of how the meeting went, aside from being chosen to be in this uncomfortable situation. I am now a building designer. This job does not please me, but I do not dislike it. I am torn from my thoughts as the president commences his speech. Listening half-heartedly, he tells us " you are welcomed here today because you are all very special ...." His speech went on for many minutes. But I was not listening, for something across the room had caught my eye and I could not help but stare.