Chapter 1

'Where am I?'
I looked around.
Darkness is the only thing I could see.
It was silent. The only thing I hear was the sound of my high heels thumping the ground.
It was creepily silent, well not that I was scared, afterall I was pretty much used to being alone.
'But where exactly am I?'
I had absolutely no sense of direction until in the distance, a vague glow of light. A teeny spark of joy lit up inside me as I walked towards the light. I didn't know why, but soon I began to speed up my pace, and I started to run.

The light lead me to a playground. The swings, the slides and the monkeybars came into my sight.

When there is a playground, there will be kids.

Kids. I hated kids. When I was a kid, nothing was right.

"Get away you freak!"
Oh so I am here to stop some stupid bully and be a wimp's hero?
The voice led me across the swings and to where a bunch of kids were making merry. Well, not so merry I guess.
"I am not a freak!"
"Oh yes you are, you monster!"
"I am not a monster!"
"Don't come near me!"
"I won't hurt you, please let's play!"
"Go away, get off me, GET OFF ME!"
"Please... I just want a friend... Please!"

There was a little girl. Pale skin, blue eyes, and black hair tied up in braids. She looked pretty but there was pure sadness in her eyes. She was being pushed down to the ground. She was the 'monster' the kids were talking about.

All of a sudden, bitterness rushed into my chest. The scene felt so familiar, so so familiar. Darkness inside me started to swallow me whole as the memories deep deep down inside me came back to life. I clenched my fists in rage. I was tearing up, despite the blurriness in my eyes, I could still see the little girl's figure in front of me.

"You are a monster forever. I am you."

"No!" my eyeslids shot open. Heaving, I tried to regain my senses.Slowly I sat up, slightly panting, feeling dampness on my forehead and down my cheeks.

I am not a monster.

Yes, you are.

Shut up conscience.

I took a quick shower and pulled on my navy blue tunic and black leggings.

I, Jessica Byrne, 16, have no parents (as far as I can remember), and I currently live in the school's dorm with my friend, Taylor Finx.

I am a normal teenager that has a normal life. Everything is as mundane as you can imagine but there is just one thing.

I am different.

I am no human.