Blissful Retirement?

Staring down at his plate, James knew he had been here before. As he glanced around his house, he knew he couldn't be any happier than he was at that moment. He had worked his entire life for retirement, and this pot roast was the last meal he would have on his final day of work.

Across the table James wife who had aged gracefully was sitting across from him. She was quietly forking the carrots she had boiled so they were soft to the bite. She glanced up from her plate and smiled at her husband. She had spent the whole day cooking his favorite meal and packing for their first adventure after his retirement. She peeled the potatoes and started the pot roast at the most opportune time so it wouldn't dry out, just juicy and tender, the way James loved it.

James took a fork full of food and placed it in his mouth. Slowly he began to chew as his wife smiled at him, and she did the same. As James swallowed, he noticed his wife began to have a weird expression across her face. She quickly placed her hands on her face and tried to release a scream, but nothing would come out.

James ran to his wife believing she was choking, picking her up and pressing on her abdomen. She quickly spit out the food and James took a slow knee to look at his wife. As he got to his knee he raised his head to look at her. That is when a black dagger like object thrust itself from his wife's eye. James fell backward in horror as her head began to split down the center.

As her skull began to crack, numerous red objects could be seen protruding from his wife's skull. James sat in shock as he witnessed an object the size of a volleyball ripped his poor wife's head in two. The awkward thing is, there wasn't any blood, and there wasn't any brain matter flowing from the crushed cranium. Instead, sitting atop his loves now lifeless body, was a horrific black object, with eight red legs and a black shield where the head was. The shield had two small red diamond like object on each side, with a larger red one in the direct center. The mouth had four pincers, one on each side, while a circle of razor sharp teeth was directly in the center as a white frothy material was protruding from the dark hole. The scariest part from this creature wasn't the mouth, but the eyes that were staring deep in James' soul. The creature stared at James, clacking its mouth together, begging for James to run so it could hunt him down.

James, not knowing what to do, stayed still as it looked deeper into those eight red eyes that were glowing back at him. He knew he didn't have anywhere to go, but feared what would happen if he didn't try to run.

Pushing himself up to his feet, he grabbed the living room chair and threw it at the creature. When the chair made contact, it released a hellish shriek as it went flying towards the wall. When it reached the wall, the creature quickly turned towards the wall and instead of slamming into it, quickly began to ascend to the ceiling where it clicked its pincers at James and released a black fluid from the back of its body. The fluid struck James in the arm and began to eat away at his flesh like acid. Before James could react, his arm fell to the floor as he screamed in terror at the sight of his arm lying motionless on the floor.

James, not knowing what he could do, quickly turned to run for the front door, but the creature shot two more black strings, striking James' legs, causing him to fall to the floor. James now on his stomach heard a loud thud behind him, and braced himself for what he knew was quickly approaching. He could feel the creature get closer through the vibrations on the floor. James once again tried to scream for help, and as he made a last ditch effort to crawl across the floor with his one remaining limb, he felt a pain in the back of his neck and blood began to flow freely onto the floor.

The creature ripped into James' body, ingesting the pieces of flesh it was shredding from his neck and back area. The creature could be heard crunching James' bones as it stabbed deep into his skull with its two front legs that were as sharp as razorblades. Slowly a white fluid was released from the tips, impregnating the corpse with the creatures that would eventually take over the earth and banish man kind to a hell it never thought it would deal with. The human race was not ended by a nuclear attack, or a virus, but something that started kind of like a virus. It took individuals one by one, and before anybody could do anything about it, it was too late. A new species has emerged on the top of the food chain, and that creature has become to be known as, The Reaper of Souls.