Chapter 3

I looked out my window as I laid I bed. The tall, dark trees swayed in the wind, knocking against my window. Every time I heard it I'd jump, thinking someone was at the door.

That phone call really creeped me out today. Ever since the man on the other line hung up, I've been anxious out all day. I felt like he was watching me, and every time I did something stupid I felt like he was laughing at me, wherever he was. I was tempted to call my brother, but I knew he wouldn't come if I did. Nothing I could do could bring me anyone, not even the people I didn't want to see. I have honestly never felt so lonely in my life, and I've only been here a few days.

I looked up at the sky through my window and saw the stars sparkling brightly. It was late, but I wasn't tired. I glanced at my clock on the old dresser in the corner of my room and saw it was 2:30 a.m. Wow, I didn't realize I was laying down for so long doing absolutely nothing.

Maybe I am tired. Maybe if I lay my head down and try to go to sleep, stop all the pointless thoughts floating around in my head, just maybe I'd fall asleep.

I buried my head in my pillow and before I knew it everything went black. I swear I thought I heard breathing coming from the end of the bed but I ignored it. I didn't know if I was asleep or...dreaming? Dreaming! This was all too familiar, I was having the same dream I had the other night; well a version of it anyway, the position I was in was different. The breathing was further away, but knew he was there. Why didn't he come closer? It's like he was hesitating to come near me.

Before I knew it the words just flowed out of my mouth, no stopping them. "Are you going to come closer or what?" As soon as I said it I snapped my mouth shut. Damn, I was much bolder in my dreams.

He didn't say anything. It didn't even sound like he moved. Why didn't he want to come closer? "Hello?" I asked. "Are you there?" I knew he was, his breathing was getting shakier as I spoke to him. If I didn't know any better I'd say he was nervous, but his god-like looks said otherwise. When I saw him up close the other night I figured that he must know what he's doing, and most certainly isn't nervous around girls. If anything I'd say he might be the opposite. I mean this guy was beyond sexy, how was it possible he had no experience with women?

"Why are you ignoring me?" I felt a little awkward now. I slid further down into my bed and ducked my head under the covers. I knew it was too good to be true. How could someone like him be interested in someone like me? Or enough to kiss me anyway. I knew I was dreaming, so I didn't care what I said. I decided to speak my mind.

"Look, I've been waiting for this night for awhile, and now that it's finally here, you think I'd be happy, right? Well I'm not. I've been waiting until I could see you again, and now you don't even want to come near me. It just sucks, because pretty much everyone I've ever known has eventually turned their backs on me and left me alone. Why do you think I'm stuck here now? Everyone left me. And the other night, just when I was feeling what I thought was the most lonely I'd ever been, you came along. I know it was a dream, and I'm dreaming now, but it's the closest thing I have to someone who makes me feel less alone, less lonely. I don't know why you came, if you are bad and want to hurt me, fine, go ahead, because everyone else has so what difference does it make? I just need somebody, and you were there for me the other night whether you meant to be or not, whether you wanted to be or not. I just thought if I saw you again, I wouldn't feel lonely for a night. But I knew it was too good to be true. I knew someone like you couldn't be interested in someone like me. Of course not, because you're like this attractive mythical creature who's too amazing to be real, or at least too perfect to be with me. So why don't you leave and just let me sleep. Just once, spare me the abandonment and leave before my feelings get even stronger," I spit out. I couldn't take it, the sadness washed over me again and I let my emotions get the best of me.