Chapter One

ONE YEAR LATER

The little boy danced around behind the older boy in front of him. His chubby legs tripped over each other as he danced, humming a tune that sounded like "Row Row Row Your Boat" over and over. The older boy, lean and muscular, stood up straight as he walked, his long and shaggy chocolate brown hair shining and bouncing.

"Are we there yet?" The little boy whined.

"No, Jair, we aren't. Five more minutes, ok?" The older boy walked backwards so he could look at the little boy as he went along. He grinned and made a funny face, to make Jair laugh.

"Okay, Amos." He danced some more, then about two minutes later, asked "Are we there yet?" again.

Amos laughed. The little boy was cute, about three years old, and cottontopped. His big blue eyes shone when he giggled, and his tiny-toothed grin was adorable. He's gonna be a heartbreaker, Amos thought.

They arrived at the town, Ellohiem, and looked around. Jair lived in the house next to Amos, both looking exactly the same except for the colors. Amos's house was green, and Jair's was yellow. They were cute little houses, and served their purpose well. Jair, living with his mother, and Amos living alone. They didn't have to be big.

Amos and Jair had something in common-- they both came from the Amethyst City. This was a suburb of it, yet it looked more like a village. Many of the houses were fairly new, especially since  massive amounts of people moved there after the City burned. Hordes of people fanned out to the suburbs, most to the bigger one, Yeddenburg, but a fair amount to Ellohiem. Almost no one died, except a select few with asthma-- and Amos's mother. She had left him alone, on purpose. He had no idea why, either. All he knew is that she wanted to die where she had been born, and had simply left him to fend for himself.

Amos walked little Jair up the steps to his door and knocked. Jair's mother opened the door, revealing herself to the boys. She was beautiful, with long black hair and shocking green eyes. She was only about twenty-four, with a petite figure and a way of holding herself that made her look like a leader.

"Oh, thank you, Amos. Jair has been annoying me to death about going to the river with you again. He loves you so much."  She hoisted the little boy up onto her arm, from which he hugged her around the neck.

"Anytime, Nesiah. I enjoy taking the little rascal out." He smiled and rubbed Jair's back.

"Hey, can I talk to you for a bit? It's kind of important." Her face was eager, mixed in with a little worry.

"Sure, anything, Nesiah. Do you need to put Jair on his crib first?" She nodded and carried Jair into his little room, with him waving bye-bye to Amos over her shoulder. A few minutes later, she came back, and invited Amos inside. She sat him on the couch, handed him a mug of tea, and breathed out really loud.

"Amos, don't be mad at me or anything for saying this but... I think your mother is still alive, in the Amethyst City."