the woods, the voices, and the man.

My mother once told me a story, her sister had an encounter with the paranormal that eventually lead to her suicide... this is that story.

My mother had a sister once, I remember my earliest memories of her, she was always so depressed and i always asked why was she sad. She never had an answer. My mother told me it all started one night when she came home from work. She was walking the streets of Ponce around midnight heading home when she noticed a man walking behind her. It wasn't the first time she had been followed by this man, Only difference was... this time he tried to talk to my aunt. He asked "are you happy with your family? aren't you tired of living in a house of religious fools?". She was scared and asked "who are you?" and my mother told me as soon as he stepped out of the shadows my aunt saw his face he looked rather normal except for hi long hair and ember red eyes. He smiled and said "your people call me the devil" and she started to run. She ran as fast as she could she ran, ran, and ran more. Eventually my aunt got the house of my mother and she explained what happened. My mother tried to calm her down, my aunt was breathing heavily and could not control herself. Soon enough she passed out.

A few days pass by and my mother sees that my aunt has a serious problem. She didn't go to work for about a week and she felt as if she was not safe at my mothers house. So she moved back to my grandmothers house; my aunts mother. they were extremely religious and for some reason my aunt felt safe at her house. The same night she moved back in to her mothers house something happened that drove her into being institutionalized. It was around 1 in the morning and my grandfather and grandmother were fighting. My aunt knew she was awake because she could see her mother. she was in the kitchen and she was looking through the crack in the door. she suddenly felt something brush up against her arm. Her breath taken away, her eyes wide open, she turns around and sees the man claiming to be "the devil". He says "tell me whats wrong. i know, i know something's wrong let me take you away from all your troubles" she screamed as loud as she could until her mother and father came into the room, they turned on the lights and she kept staring at the empty space next to her bed. My grandmother; her mother started yelling at her "are you crazy?! do you have any idea how late it is?! why are you screaming?!" she kept going and going until my aunt finally screamed "the devil, he's after me mom!" my aunt was religious, still is, but for some reason she did not believe my aunt and they put her away in a hospital for about a month or two.

While in the hospital my aunt told my mother what she saw in there. They had to put her on several medications before she stopped seeing the man. Every now and then she would try to fall asleep in the hospital while the man watched she said she heard him bragging "you know they'll never believe you, or you know they cant see me" sometimes he would tell her "either go with me or just kill yourself" when the lights went out she closed her eyes. She could hear his threats, she could hear him mocking her life. She always kept her eyes closed she did not want to see his silhouette even less his ember red eyes. She described him as a physical being yet at the same time he did not exist. At some points she thought she was arguing with herself until she realized the voice was overlapping her voice, her thoughts. She had nightmares almost every night in that hospital. Around a month goes by in there and she pretends to be fine they let her out a week or so later. 

My mom did not hear of her for about 3 months after she got out of the hospital. My mother was worried and she sent out search parties she called cops. Yet she never found her. Turns out she was hiding in the woods. She didnt wana see anyone, my aunt told my mother that she never gave in. I dont know the way my mom told me I can only assume she was lying. She told me how she lived in the woods for a few months living on fish and vegetables. She explained to my mother how he never left her side, he was always there talking to her, he did not want to let her go. My mother told me that the last thing my aunt told to her was something this man, "the devil" said to my aunt "love me or kill yourself. i want you" she ended up killing herself a week after. She was weak and brittle and was basically a walking corpse. A few members of the family came to her funeral, not many though that's what my mother told me. My grandmother did not go. She was embarrassed of her daughter and the fact that she killed herself.

A few months later after the funeral my mother gets off work around 8pm its almost dark so she thinks "why not visit my sister she needs it" so she walks to the cemetery. It was almost sunset and my mother told me she sees a man placing flowers on her gravestone. My mother has never seen this man before and she starts running towards him as he walks away she starts running faster. He disappears into the woods and just before he did he looked back and my mother saw his ember red eyes. She told me things in this world happen that cant be explained and that was one of those things.