Part 2 : Outburst

There's always a limit upto which we can bottle up our feelings, which once crossed, cannot be suppressed again, do whatever you can.

Outburst

"You okay, Anu?" Kabir asks his wife, who seems to getting dressed for some medical visit.

"Yes." comes his wife's monosyllabic response like all the other times. But even this is soothing for Kabir, who earlier had lost his hopes of ever getting his wife to speak to him.

"Fine, I'll drop you to the orphanage." Kabir tells his wife, who isn't paying attention to him, her attention is on the pleats of her saree. But still, it is much better than her previous behaviour. She has now rejoined her work, though Kabir knows well it's only because she doesn't wish to have one more heated conversation with him which they had three months back.

Like every other day, Kabir had returned back from work late at night. But unlike other days, Anaisha was awake. She was sitting on the bed in her bedroom, still clutching Arman's picture in her hands. Ayaan was sitting beside her.

When Kabir walked toward the room, Ayaan didn't notice him, despite his footsteps being louder than usual. It was slightly unusual as the kid always waited for his father to get home. Kabir didn't make any move toward Ayaan, and stood at the entrance of the room. He observed what his son was doing.

His son was staring at Anaisha, with teary eyes. His hand was on Anaisha's hand and something told Kabir, Ayaan was trying to get his mother's attention. But Anaisha wasn't bothered, as if Ayaan wasn't there.

Ayaan stood up on the bed beside Anaisha and touched her cheeks, his desperate attempt to get his mother's attention. Anaisha didn't show any sign of acknowledging his presence, again. It broke Kabir's heart to see his wife's ignorance and detachment with their only child. He couldn't understand why can't she cherish the existence of one of their twins rather than lamenting over the loss of the other.

"Mamma!" Ayaan softly called his mother, now crying. Though, it was his paternal aunt who had been taking care of him, the little boy still desired his mother's affection. Every once in a while he would go upto her, in hope she would hug him this time and give her the love he deserved. But every time, all he got was rejection and his mother's alienation.

Yet this time, his father had enough of his wife's aloofness and finally bursted out on her.

Kabir stormed inside, unable to bear the anguish of his son. He held Anaisha by her hand and jerked her to stand. Holding her by her shoulders, he allowed his deep buried grief come out in his words.

"WHAT DO YOU THINK YOU'RE DOING ANAISHA? WHY CAN'T YOU JUST LET US LIVE IN PEACE? WHY CAN'T YOU STOP YOURSELF FROM INFLICTING MORE PAIN ON US THEN WE'RE ALREADY SUFFERING THROUGH? WHAT WRONG HAVE WE DONE WITH YOU THAT YOU KEEP PUNISHING ME AND AYAAN WITH YOUR ALOOFNESS? WHY CAN'T YOU JUST ACCEPT THE TRUTH AND MOVE ON LIKE I DID? WHY?"

Her face still stoic, Anaisha stared at him. Kabir's voice was so loud, that even Ayaan was petrified. In fact, Kabir himself was gobsmacked on using such vehement tone with his wife. But he had no control over his emotions!

"It's not easy to accept the reality, Kabir. I lost my son, and only I know how heartwrenching it is! You can't imagine how painful it is to lose a part of yourself, the part that a mother carries in her body for nine months! How can you expect me to act normal after such loss of ours? How can you ask me to forget about Arman and move on? How can I forget my firstborn son and live my life as if nothing ever happened? Tell me!"