Hand In Hand

HAND IN HAND

THIS STORY DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY FAN FICTION

             Hazel entered the restaurant with her silver necklace cold against her bare neck. She wore this elegant piece of jewelry every time she went out; it had a special meaning to her. A graceful smile was playing on her pink lips as she tugged the hems of her red dress down. Hazel was not oblivious to the fact that people were staring and pointing invisible fingers at her. She chose to ignore them. The hard truth was that she was completely hideous, but that didn’t stop her from going out for a meal from time to time.

            An accident had left her scarred and the horrible reminder of it never healed. Yet, she still showed her face in public. The other customers were clearly uncomfortable around her. They fidgeted and some were snickering, the reaction of them was just priceless… it obviously hurt her but she refused to show this. Hazel’s head was up high, remembering the time people were commenting that she must have cheated in a test because she was the only one who passed.

A soft chuckle that only a few could hear left her mouth. It was the past and she knew she could never change that. Suddenly, a small girl, probably around the age of six, bumped into her.

            “Sorry,”

            The child’s eyes widened as she saw Hazel, a small gasp escaped from her. She crinkled her nose and mouthed out ‘ew’ while making a face. Just then, a woman in her early thirties appeared, scolding her daughter. The woman pinched her daughter's ears while quietly yelling to her daughter.

            “Jenna, say sorry!”

            The little girl had a small tear in her eye as she mumbled an apology. Hazel nodded as she watched the two people scurry off. She could feel the manager’s eyes on her and she turned around to make sure. He smiled awkwardly at her. He knew her, as she was a regular customer. She had, after all, loved this place since she was little. Her mother would always get the table next to the window, for the scenery was a perfect place to watch.

            Even whilst many rude strangers were silently judging her she stayed strong. Her eyes were full of life. Such joy was written on them. She then caught the eye of the waiter she always managed to meet every time. He always served her; Hazel had even made her plans so that she would arrive during his shift. This particular man was not bothered by her looks.

          “I’m guessing you’re having the steamed crabs?” Xavier asked.

         “No, I'm going to have raw crabs. Of course, the regular.” Hazel replied jokingly. She was always at ease, whenever she was around him. Her nature was to always-think positive, always to think one step ahead of the future.                                                                 

  Xavier grinned for he loved the sound of her voice, loved the way she made him laughed.

 After the girl had her meal and paid the bill, she waited around for the waiter’s shift to finish. When this time finally came, they left the restaurant together; hand in hand.