Cover Up

Returning to normal life is always strange after being away from it, no matter who you are. It becomes harder when you change drastically while gone. Which leads to the current predicament of ex-Walter Girl B – just Brianna now, she had to remember that – as she stood in front of her bathroom mirror, makeup brush in hand. Blue matter radiation causes permanent mutations in melanocytes, colouring her hair blue and skin white.

    The moment she had decided to leave Walter Robotics Brianna started preparing, she had spent three weeks researching the materials she needed before buying a massive stock of foundations, concealers and body paints, all in her original skin tone. Then came the practice, hours upon hours of careful application until she could pass as a Regular Human Being. Now she had the whole routine down to a science, and depending on the length of clothing she wore – long sleeves and covered legs almost every day, even on extremely hot days – she could be ready in an hour, maybe less.

   Her hair was easier. She had found a good dye, and simply touched it up every time her blue roots began to show. Brianna had mused upon the idea of leaving her hair and saying she had gotten highlights, but she had ultimately decided against it – It was too obvious. She needed to blend in. She’d buy some dye today, the blue was beginning to grow in.

    With a final swipe of the brush Brianna was finished. Her routine complete. She smiled at her reflection before walking out the door.