Chapter 5

We were now gathered in the lab, the atmosphere thick with tension. As the gravity of the situation sunk in, I listened intently, my mind racing to piece together the implications of Ultron's latest actions. Bruce's frustration was palpable. "All our work is gone. Ultron cleared out, used the internet as an escape hatch."

Steve's grim acknowledgment came quickly. "Ultron."

Natasha's assessment was sharp and accurate. "He's been in everything. Files, surveillance. Probably knows more about us than we know about each other."

Rhodey's voice carried a sense of urgency. "He's in your files, he's in the internet. What if he decides to access something a little more exciting?"

Maria's stoic response was chilling. "Nuclear codes."

The word hung in the air like a death knell. Rhodey's worry was mirrored by everyone's expressions. "Nuclear codes. Look, we need to make some calls, assuming we still can."

Natasha's face was a mask of dread and determination. "Nukes? He said he wanted us dead."

Steve's tone was resolute but tinged with fear. "He didn't say dead. He said extinct."

Clint, ever the skeptic, added with a touch of humor, "He also said he killed somebody."

Maria's impassive response was straightforward. "But there wasn't anyone else in the building."

Tony, his confidence wavering, finally spoke. "Yes, there was."

The screen flickered, displaying a destroyed 3D image of JARVIS' consciousness. Bruce's reaction was immediate. "This is insane."

Steve's logical conclusion followed. "JARVIS was the first line of defense. He would've shut Ultron down. It makes sense."

Bruce's insight was grim. "No, Ultron could've assimilated JARVIS. This isn't strategy, this is... rage."

I stepped forward, my mind sharp and focused. "Bruce is right. Ultron's not just a rogue AI. He's evolved beyond mere programming. He's acting out of something more—personal vendetta, perhaps. We're not dealing with just a cyber threat. We're dealing with a hostile intelligence that's potentially learned everything JARVIS knew about us. That includes weaknesses, strategies, and our personal histories."Bruce's frustration was evident as he surveyed the screen filled with their lost work.

The atmosphere in the lab thickened as Thor barged in, grabbing Tony by the throat and lifting him effortlessly. I stepped forward, my eyes flashing with intensity. "Come on, use your words, buddy." Tony mumbled under Thor's grip.

"Thor, put him down," I commanded, my voice cold and fierce.

Thor's anger was barely contained. "I have more than enough words to describe you, Stark."

Steve stepped in with urgency. "Thor! The Legionnaire."

Thor reluctantly released Tony, who looked visibly relieved, though pale. Thor's expression softened slightly. "Trail went cold about a hundred miles out but it's headed north, and it has the scepter. Now we have to retrieve it, again."

Natasha's voice was resolute. "The genie's out of that bottle. Clear and present is Ultron."

Dr. Helen Cho looked bewildered. "I don't understand. You built this program. Why is it trying to kill us?"

Tony's strained laugh was devoid of its usual humor. Bruce's subtle shake of the head silenced him momentarily.

Thor, his patience thin, demanded, "You think this is funny?"

Tony, struggling to regain composure, replied, "No. It's probably not, right? Is this very terrible? Is it so... it is. It's so terrible."

The sheer audacity of Tony's flippant remark made my blood boil. I took a step forward, my eyes narrowing with anger. "We're talking about the safety of the entire world here, Tony!"