xxxii

The girls laughed and danced as the goal horn blared. It was five minutes into the first, and Dougie already found the back of the net. It was the last game of the season, and it was off to a great start. The Dome erupted in cheers and chants, the atmosphere being more energized than ever. The happiness wouldn't last long, though, because the Flames eventually lost 4-2 to the Kings. It was a sad ending to a sad season, but in Sam's words, "There's only five months until the season starts up again."

Vivienne stood between Amber and Paige, who rested their heads on her shoulder. The door to the locker room opened and the first person to exit was Joe. He gave a small smile to the trio, who walked over to him and engulfed him in a hug. After that was over, Sean came out of the locker room, freshly showered in his suit. His tie and beanie looked crooked, a sign that he was rushing out of there.

Amber extended her hands out to grab his. He just sighed and peered down at her. She rubbed her thumbs over his, "What?"

"Nothing. Just disappointed. You probably are too. I just wish we could've been better."

She furrowed her eyebrows at him, "Hey. I am nothing but proud of you, Sean. You tried your hardest and you fell short. Let's get home, c'mon." Amber tugged on his arms to get him to move.

He kissed her forehead as he fished his keys out of his pocket, "I love you."

Sam came out next, beaming when he saw Vivienne waiting for him. He immediately grabbed her like she was the only thing keeping him whole. "What a season." He grabbed her hand and led her back to their cars, agreeing upon having dinner together.

He placed a kiss on her lips the same way he did when he first kissed her, "I'll see you in a few. Love you. Be safe."

"Mhm. Love you." She opened the door to her car and pulled out of the parking lot, trailing behind Sam.

And then there was one. Paige stood outside the door, growing impatient when she would see it open and Johnny not standing there. After what felt like three hours, Johnny finally emerged from the locker room, in all his post-game glory.

He admired Paige, standing there for him after almost every home game. If he had a good game, she would be standing there, waiting to give him a big hug. If he had a bad game, it would be the same story. He appreciated her for wearing his jersey every night and never scolding him for turning the puck over, or sometimes hogging the puck. She would always welcome him with a smile and a hug.

Him and Paige just approached each other without saying a word. Johnny brought her in for a hug and held her face when they separated, "Thank you."

"For?" She grinned.

"Being awesome. Being my girlfriend. Always being here, even if I had a good or bad game."

"Well, thank you for the free tickets." She said jokingly, giving him a peck.

Johnny just rolled his eyes at her, "Let's go home now. You need to help me pack."

Paige grinned, remembering the two had a flight to catch in a couple days for her sister's wedding, "Of course."

/////

Viv and Sam sat on his couch, a bowl of popcorn between them. Neither of them were interested in the movie that was playing on the screen--too many thoughts were running through the both of their heads.

Sam broke the silence, taking the bowl away and placing it on the coffee table.

"We need to talk." The both of them said simultaneously.

Vivienne gasped, "Okay, uh, you go first."

Sam sighed and faced her. He didn't know where to start. He decided to get right to the point, "I'm so in love with you."

Anticipating the response was worse than gathering the courage to say it. But once Sam started going, he couldn't stop. "I've been in love with you for so long, I've been trying to figure out how to say it, and, wow. I just look at you and I'm overwhelmed by how much I love you and how much you mean to me and--"

Vivienne shushed him by putting her hand over his mouth, "Just shut up already!"

Sam looked like she just stabbed him through the heart, "I... Okay."

She chuckled, "I was gonna tell you... to come home with me this summer. We have a lake house, and I know you're coming back to Ontario anyway, so why not spend a week with the Dietrich clan?"

His look softened and turned into a smile, "Yeah! Of course! It'll be fun."

She nodded and buried her head in his chest, "By the way, I'm in love with you too."