Chapter 1

Since she was young, she had a great appetite for reading books, especially detective stories. Her vocabulary and speaking skills were noted as the best in our class. She was brainy, though not the brainiest of all. I was a good crony of her and we would often play detective, under her insistence. She spoke in a unique accentual manner, which would enthral me. Soon we met teen hood and were detached. Sometimes, I thought about where she was and whether she remembered me like how I did.

A couple of years later my family and I settled in London, due to my dad's job transfer. I had an opulent life in the city, however I was not in good spirits. I always experienced a bone-chilling weather there, and preferred warming myself with a cardigan and a cup of hot chocolate. Once while having a stroll on Oxford Street, a girl bumped into me. I sighed and glared at her. She certainly looked familiar to me. Before I could say something, she said apologetically, "I....I am so sorry, it was an accident, I did not intend to bump into you."

I gazed at her for a moment and hesitantly asked, "If I am not wrong, are you Emma Spencer?"

"Yes, you're absolutely right! Sorry, but I did not recognize you."

I said politely, "I am your friend Grace, Grace Wellings."

"Golly! How could I forget Grace, my best friend." she said laughing at herself.

She had attired herself in smart trousers, a slim Levi's belt and had tucked her elegant shirt into her trousers. She had tied her long, blonde hair into a high ponytail and wore coffee-coloured leather boots and a chic, black sweat coat. "There's a Café nearby, would you like to join me for a coffee?" I smiled and said, "Sure, I'd love to!" We simply walked there and ordered a cappuccino for two.

"So, how come you're here, in London?" I sipped my coffee and replied, "My dad took a job transfer to London, besides thinking that I could find my job here too. By the way, what are you doing currently?"

"Great! Well, I have recently started working in a detective agency. I suggest, if you're looking for a job, why don't you work along with me? If you're interested I'll also speak to the chief for you."

I thought for a moment and replied, "I don't want to be hasty to make any decision, hence I'll speak to my parents and let you know by tomorrow."

"Well and good, take your time but let me know soon."

Finishing our conversation we made a move. While dinner time, I asked my parents whether I could join the detective agency. My dad gladly allowed me and my mother believed that I could do anything I wanted as far as it was correct and done from my own will. I was upbeat to work with my friend as a detective and forthwith texted her my approval. The next day she spoke to the chief regarding me, and he said that he would like to have an interview with me. My family wished me a good luck for the interview and I reached there at 8 o'clock in the morning. I was pretty confident about myself, but the moment I looked at the grim face of the chief my confidence suddenly abated.

"Good morning Miss. What is your good name?" he asked. "M....My name is G....Grace, Grace Wellings." I stammered, because of nervousness. "Please be comfortable, Miss Wellings. I look stern but I am a warm-hearted person. I presume that to be a detective you should have an austere personality, which you need to practice. I give you a period of three days, I hope to see you return with a renewed confidence." saying this he made his departure.

Emma was anxious to know the result. I told her everything that happened and she said that she would help me with the practice. The day arrived and I was utterly prepared. He was chuffed to see a new me and welcomed me to the world of sleuths.