Chapter One

The street lights lit up the world of the night and kept the stars up in the sky at bay. The sound of chattering of crowds intensified and disappeared just as quickly as it appeared in random intervals. The shine of the moon was shattered in the reflection of the lake. There was life everywhere in the town with happiness and sadness, falseness and truthfulness. Yet everyone ignored a certain tiny girl.

She balanced herself steadily at the edge of a bridge past the barrier meant to prevent people from falling over. Underneath the bridge one could easily hear the waves crashing into unseen sharp rocks. The girl was well aware that this was one of the most popular places for teens her age to commit suicide. It was rumored that there was at least one suicide attempt at the bridge per week.

The girl grabbed hold of one of the railings behind her and allowed herself to peer straight down to what might be her death. She could see nothing but darkness and rarely a reflection of light. She sighed and breathed in the musky air. "What am I thinking?" She muttered to herself in a quiet whisper. She pulled herself back and clumsily climbed back over the railing on to the sidewalk.

She collapsed on to the ground and she begun to take deep breathes in an attempt to calm herself. The cool concrete gave her some comfort and she felt like she was merging with the ground. Becoming nothing but dirt. She did not want to move again but she force herself to sit up.

"E-Excuse me?" The girl flinched and looked up to see a redhead stare down at her. He looked way more frightened than she was and he stumbled backwards upon seeing her. "I-I'm sorry!"

"There's nothing for you to be sorry about... Right?" The girl asked him. She stood up and brushed her school uniform off then she held out her hand to the guy to help him up.

"W-Well I mean, I don't really know you and this may seem rude of me, b-but I don't think k-k-killing yourself is the answer you're looking for..." The redhead stumbled upon his own words. She guessed he was trying to find the right words to try and get her to reconsider her choices.

"You're right. It's not the answer I'm looking for... but it's the only option that gives me some comfort." The girl bowed down slightly. "Thank you though for worrying about me."

When the girl tried to leave, the redhead instinctively grabbed her arm and turned her to face him. "Um... Uh... D-Do you want to eat something with me? I-I haven't eaten anything yet and... like a last meal?"

The girl stared at his bright red face, almost the same color as his hair. He seemed sincere and the girl felt like she did not really mind his company. "Alright. Your treat?"

"My treat. Oh, and um... My name is Mikoshiba Mikoto." The redhead hid his face with his arm.

The girl giggled. "Cool, thanks! My name is Sakura Chiyo. Nice to meet you."