Chapter 10

-----

I froze. Beginning to panic, I looked around for a distraction. 

"So? Where is he?" Ino asked again. 

"Uh... He left. He had a mission," I said, rubbing my tense shoulders. Ino frowned. 

"I didn't see him leave through the door," she said suspiciously. 

"Yeah well he left... through the window?" I replied, sounding unsure and giggling nervously. Ino looked at me. Before anyone could say anything else someone's phone rang. Sakura sighed and picked up her phone, looked at the Caller ID, and answered, putting it on speaker. 

"Hello?" she said. 

"Sakura where are you? I thought I was coming over today?" the girl on the phone whined. Sakura cringed. 

"Oh, sorry about that! Um, I sorta forgot, but well I'm at Tobi's," she replied, her eyebrows furrowed. There was silence for a few seconds before a giggle was heard. 

"Aha, Tobi... He's..." she trailed off. I looked at Sakura, who looked annoyed. As soon as I realized what was happening, I gasped dramatically. Clutching my chest with my hand, I pretended to cry, loudly so that Rin could hear me. 

"Your forgot me?? My heart!" I exclaimed, causing a few people to giggle and I heard an "oh" of realization on the phone. 

"Oh, that Tobi!" she said. I looked away. 

"What other Tobi's do you know?" I muttered, loud enough for everyone to hear and burst into laughter. 

"Okay, well I'm going to Tobi's too, then. Do you mind if I bring a few friends?" she asked. 

"Have I met them? Sorry I may have forgotten them," I pouted. Sakura sighed. 

"Bring whoever you'd like," she said, and hung up. I turned back to Ino. 

"So are  you gonna introduce me, or...?" Ino laughed and turned to the other people she had brought. 

I had already met the girl Tenten at school before, so that left the girl with the odd red hair and glasses and the girl with... also odd blonde hair, and the dog-looking boy with the actual dog. I looked at Ino. She smiled. 

"The girl with the red hair, she's Karin Uzumaki," she said. I turned to her. 

"That's cool, so you're related to Naruto?" I asked. She rolled her pink eyes and nodded.

"Unfortunately." I looked at Ino again. 

"And the blonde is Temari." I looked at the blonde girl. She forced a smile onto her lips and her four-ponytailed hair bobbed down to bow at me slightly. "And the boy over there is Kiba, and the dog is Akamaru." I looked at the boy with striped-cheeks and he grinned brightly at me. I smiled at him under my mask, which I didn't know if he noticed. 

"Well, I'm Tobi," I said. Then the doorbell rang and I jumped up off the floor I had unconsciously sat on. Opening the door, I saw Rin, Misaki, and Itachi. 

"Hey Tobi!" Rin said, smiling. Still feeling a bit irritated, I sighed. 

"So you do remember me," I said. She pouted and was about to respond before Itachi placed a hand on her shoulder and looked at me. 

"Sorry for any feelings she may have hurt, but Rin really is not the brightest crayon in the box," he said, glancing at her. She looked at him as if he were crazy, and she frowned. 

"Hey! That's not nice!" She exclaimed and Itachi's serious expression relaxed into a closed-eye smile. 

"It was a joke. I meant she just has horrible memory," he said. I laughed and Rin pouted. I opened the door wide enough so they could all enter. I closed the door after them and followed behind Misaki. She kept glancing at me behind her. Curious, I tapped on her shoulder. She stopped walking and turned around to face me, her usual blank and detached look. I scratched my head. 

"Uh, is there anything wrong?" I asked her. She looked at me. 

"Why?" she asked, staring right at me. How could she be so cold?! 

I shrugged. "You seem a little, uneasy..." I told her. She narrowed her eyes and turned back around. I followed after her again. Ignored, huh?

As soon as we got to the living room I glanced at Misaki and sat back onto the floor. She sat down besides me and across Kiba, who was petting his dog. I looked at Misaki again. Her eyes were settled on Akamaru and a light pink blush dusted her cheeks. I smirked. 

"Hey Kiba, can I hold Akamaru?" I asked. I saw Misaki's eyes light up, and Kiba looked at me as if I were crazy. 

"Um, he might not like you..." he replied, frowning. I looked at the dog. 

"I'm good with animals," I assured something. He muttered something I couldn't hear, and he picked the small dog up, holding it out to me. I took him and sat him down in my lap. At first, he was stiff and he looked as if he was trying to hold back a bark, but then he began relaxing when I started petting him. He lay his head down and closed his already squinted eyes. I smiled under my mask and continued petting his head gently. I glanced at Misaki, who was looking at the dog and biting her lip. I smiled and turned to her. "Do you want to hold him?" I asked. She looked at me, shocked. After a few seconds of silence, she took the dog into her arms. I glanced at Kiba, who looked nervous. Misaki held the dog to her chest. It cuddled against her and continued his nap. Misaki looked at Kiba and he forced a smile onto his lips. 

"I, uh, I didn't think he'd like anyone enough to do that," he said, sounding a little confused. After Misaki didn't respond, he tried again. "Do you like dogs?" he asked. I looked at her. Her face was expressionless as usual. 

"Not especially. I like cats better," she said. Kiba's eyes widened. 

"C-cats?" he asked. She nodded. 

"Yeah. They're really cute-"

"But! But so are dogs!" he argued. 

"Yeah. I like dogs too, but not more than-"

"Why?!" he almost yelled. Misaki looked a little startled. 

"Well, they are more quiet," she said. Kiba stared at her, frowning. As they continued arguing- mostly Kiba- I stood up and walked over to the couches where Itachi, Rin, Sakura, and Tenten were sitting. I waved at them and sat down. Rin smiled at me. I glanced at her friend. 

"So, what's your favorite animal?" I asked her. 

"Obviously foxes!" she replied instantly. I nodded. "But, hamsters are cute too. Not as good as foxes!" she said. I looked at Sakura and she sighed. 

"Don't mind her. She talks quite a bit," Itachi said, throwing an arm over her shoulder. She pouted and blushed. 

"Hey! D-don't do that in front of everyone!" she exclaimed, struggling under his grasp. He laughed and pulled her closer. Sakura sighed. 

Deidara stood up off the floor, and looked at me. 

"Um do you need anything?" I asked. He turned around and walked out the door.