Chapter Sixteen

Dedicated to @night_silence because it's her birthday today! Happy biiiiirthday!

Chapter Sixteen

Michele pulls up the hand-break and the car stops.

"I'm not getting out," I say.

"Get out," Michele says, so with a sigh, I get out.

Ironically, it's a sunny spring day. I would be enjoying it, reading a book in the garden perhaps but instead I have to sit through a six hour exam. They call it the SATs but most people refer it to as Satan's gift to teens everywhere.

"You're going to be awesome, today, okay?” Michele says, gripping me by the shoulders. You're going to kick butt in this stupid test and you're going to get into an awesome college because of it."

"Yeah, right," I say.

Michele shakes me. "I'm being serious. I don't remember doing this stupid thing but I do know one thing: I'll beat your ass if you fail this because I'm sick to death of reading out flashcards to you."

I crack a smile. "I have to do it again senior year."

Michele grunts. "Whatever. Just be awesome, okay?"

"Yeah," I say, although I don't feel it inside.

Michele kisses me on the cheek. "I'll pick you up at three.”

"I love you."

"I love you too."

Students from Garfield High School enter the building, wide-eyed and pale-faced. I send Michele a wave over my shoulder.

Then I take a deep breath and walk.