Chapter 1

!Disclaimer!

The characters and settings im this story vary in reality and imagination. You have been warned..

<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>•<>

I started off my day like any other. I got out of bed at 7 am and rushed to get ready for school, putting on a light brown, cotton tank top along with an old pair of skinny jeans and a cute pair of floral vans to top it off. Then, I grabbed my backpack and headed out the door not even bothering to brush my hair this morning.

Now it was time to walk to school. A hate walking to school. All I can do is look at dank housing and maybe count how many steps I take along the way, but there was always that "emo" kid who walked by. She seems just as bored as I am. She looks nice enough. Maybe one day I'll talk to her. Not today though.

Today, I had something on my mind. After school there's going to be a car wash to raise money for the new public library. I do want the library built as fast as it can be, but I dread anything to do with water, storms, or bathrooms. I guess it's because of what happened to my mom...

Okay. Happy thoughts. Libraries. That's better.

The school began approaching faster and faster until, before I knew it, I was at the gym doors. My friends were on the other side of these doors. Should I just go in? Or will that disturb them? What should I do? I finally decided to open the door, giving a it a gentle tug and-

"Hey, are you ever going in?" someone asked from behind me.

I turned on a dime and saw the girl who always walks beside me.

"Uhh.. I.. No. You go ahead."

I held the door open for her and gestured for her to enter.

"Okay?" she gave me a curious glance. "Thanks. I guess?"

After she had made it inside, I backed up to the wall and slid down until I hit the ground. I suck at social things. Why do I have to suck at social things? Three years of high school and I still can't muster up the courage to walk into the gym, where my friends are, might I add. I'm pathetic.

"Maxie?" I heard Emily's voice.

Emily is my best friend. She is also so much orettier than me. She has blue eyes, long, wavy, brown hair, and a smile that could kill. Above all that, she is confident. I wish I was more like her, and now that she's standing in front of me, maybe I should talk to her.

"Hey Em."

"I figured I'd find you out here. Why the sad face?"

"What sad face?"

"Maxie, tell me what's wrong?"

"First of all, the name Maxie."

"But that's such a cute nickname!" she smiled that smile she always smiles when she knows I hate how perfect her smile is. Smiler.

"Okay, Em. Whatever you say." Literally.

"So Maxie. Let's head to class." She so meant to put emphasis on that name.

"Mhm."

I hate how I do whatever she wants me to..

When we made it to class, I realized that I forgot to do my homework. Typical me. I'll just tell Mr. Sanders I left it at home. He usually understands when people do that.

"Hey Maxie. Look at that emo kid. Do you think he dresses that way to make people beat him up? Masochist."

I really hate her.

"Or maybe, he likes that style and puts up with people like you, because he'd rather be himself than be weak and not enjoy his life."

"Woah. No need to defend him. He probably worships the devil anyway." she flipped her hair like it was nothing.

"You know maybe you're right."

I'm such a wuss.

Mr. Sanders finally entered the classroom started teaching. I guess he forgot about the homework.

Appearantly, after a few minutes of a lecture on American history I fell asleep, because before I knew it, Emily was shaking me and eventually she gave up.

Good. More sleep.

"Umm.." an unfamiliar voice. Weird. I thought I knew everyone.

Soon the feeling of someone shaking me returned and I jolted upward unsure of what was going on.

"Huh?" I blurted sutpidly.

"Sorry." it was that kid Emily was poking fun at. "You seemed like you were enjoying your sleep."

"It's fine." I stood up and took a better look at him.

He was a few inches taller than me with a mop of shaggy, black hair. I couldn't make out what colour hos eyes were, but it guessed they were a bluish gray colour, and he wore a black band t-shirt with "Get Scared" written in sloppy letters.

I've listened to that band before. My dad made me turn it off, because they "weren't christian."

I hate him almost as much as I hate Emily.

"Hey, um. Maxene?"

Oh, right. I'm talking to someone.

"Sorry. What's your name?" I gave him an apologetic smile.

"It's Nate."

"Do you have a last name, "Nate?" I chuckled.

"Graham."

At that moment, I remembered we had all the same classes and thought up an idea that would make Emily's skin crawl.

"Do you want to walk to class together?"

"Why are you asking?"

"Why not? You embarrased to be seen with me? I understand."

"No, and sure. I'll walk with you."