4.7 December 21, 2009

"Jessica is moving out next week. She got a place with her sister." Jaime said. He was sitting at Mike and I's kitchen table.

"Thank god, maybe you two can go there then." Mike groaned from the kitchen.

"Do you want us to leave?" I asked him.

"No, no. Stay here, by all means." Mike sighed.

My eyes went wide. I was driving Mike crazy which meant that Mike was driving me crazy. I'm not sure where it started, but I knew that the cycle was going to have to end soon. My friendship with Mike is really important to me, but it's in jeopardy once again.

Jaime grabbed my hand, "He's right. We can spend some time just the three of us. That will be good, right?"

I shrugged. "All of his toys are still here."

"We can bring them over." Jaime said.

"Why? I don't want to carry them back and forth." I raised an eyebrow.

Jaime squeezed my hand, "Or to stay. We could bring your toys over too."

I rolled my eyes, but he just laughed. "This is not much better than the last time you asked me to move in. My answer remains too: I'll think about it."

"That worked in my favor last time. I'll take those odds." He agreed. I couldn't help but smile. Jaime asked me to move in with him last time before the sex on us dried. I thought it was some sort of emotional response so I told him no. He explained why living together was a financial decision, not a romantic one. It took some time, but he got his wish. For a few months at least.

I stood up, going to pick JJ up from where he was inevitably circling Mike's ankles looking for excitement the way that a vulture searches for meat.

"Things are different now. I'm not twenty and we now have a" I grunted, picking up JJ, "big, fat baby to worry about. Are you sure that you're ready to have all of your cabinets locked up with pieces of plastic?"

"Don't do it man. They say baby-proof, but what they really mean in human-proof. JJ gets into them faster than I do." Mike warned him. I nodded my head; That's not a completely inaccurate statement.

"Okay, so who cares? I'd rather have the two of you then cabinet entry every day of the week. Tell me what to buy. I'll get it." Jaime said.

"Can you afford that?" I asked him.

His face fell.

"Exactly. I'm not doing so well financially right now either. We need to do this smart." I said.

"I'll sell the house and get something smaller." Jaime suggested.

I rolled my eyes, "Now you're just being counter-productive."

"I can talk to my mom. Tell her that for Christmas this year JJ and I want cabinet locks. She can return my stuff and I'm sure she's already bought half the toy-store for him." Jaime stood up, taking JJ from me and getting him a sippy cup.

"Calling your parents is your grand solution?" I harassed him.

"No one understands wanting your kid around more than parents. I think if they could make that happen, it'd be a Christmas miracle." He told me. He narrowed his eyes like I was the crazy one.

"There's a lot of responsibility in having him around." I said.

Jaime threw his head back in frustration. "In two weeks we're going to LA to record the new album. So do you want to be alone here at Mike's or do you want to be alone in our house?"